Gavin defeats Witter, captures British 147 lb title
By Scott Gilfoid: Unbeaten Frankie Gavin (14-0, 10 KO’s) defeated British welterweight champion Junior Witter (41-6-2, 22 KO’s) by a 12 round unanimous decision to capture the British strap on Thursday night at the York Hall, Bethnal Green, in London, United Kingdom. The final judges’ scores were 117-112, 119-109 and 117-110, all for Gavin.
The fight was pretty terrible to watch, and neither guy really established themselves as quality fighters. Witter lost a point for excessive holding in the 10th. However, got away with a lot of rabbit punches and felt he should have lost at a minimum of one point, possibly two. Gavin looked frozen in the first four rounds, acting afraid to throw any punches. Witter was able to dominate with his jab and occasional pot shot.
From the 4th round on, Gavin took over the fight and dominated, if you want to call it that, by landing occasional shots. He still wasn’t letting his hands go the way that he should have against this guy. That’s how you beat Witter by throwing punches. It looking like Gavin was afraid to get hit and was focusing on boxing instead of slugging against the older 38-year-old Witter.
What was especially sad was seeing Witter just bouncing around in the last two rounds without throwing punches. His legs were there but he couldn’t pull the trigger. It just looked like a washed up fighter.
All in all, Gavin did what he had to do but he didn’t impress and I can’t see him beating anyone in the top 10 in the welterweight division. He’s too average, too weak, too slow and too small for the weight class. Gavin is at the right place at the local level, but I can’t see him achieving more than this. He won’t win at the Euro level and of course at the world level.
Other boxing results on the card:
Ronnie Heffron PTS 8 Peter McDonagh
John Dignum PTS 4 Joe Walsh
Craig Evans PTS 6 Ideh Ockuko
Gary Corcoran TKO 1 Ross Payne
Charlie Hoy PTS 6 Francis Croes
Miles Shinkwin PTS 4 Jody Meikle
More Boxing News:
- Kerman Lejarraga destroys Frankie Gavin – RESULTS
- Gavin Loses Title On The Scales
- UK Boxing: Tom McGuinness; Hosea Burton; Frankie Gavin
- News: Billy Joe Saunders; Frankie Gavin; Lauren Price
- UK Boxing: Frankie Gavin; James Beech Jr; Dani Hodges
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback
- Chris Eubank Jr: I’m looking to DESTROY Canelo
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Eubank Jr gives his theory on WHY Saunders didn’t take Canelo Alvarez fight
- Emanuel Navarrete wants Naoya Inoue, believes he’ll beat him