Rigondeaux to fight on Donaire-Arce undercard on December 15th
By Chris Williams: WBA World super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (11-0, 8 KO’s) may be having little luck in getting a fight against WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire despite being with the same promotional company Top Rank, but Rigondeaux will at least have the opportunity to fight on the undercard of Donaire’s mismatch against Jorge Arce on December 15th at a still to be determined venue, according to Dan Rafael.
He says that Bob Arum of Top Rank said he’s in the process of finalizing the Arce-Donaire fight and that Rigondeaux will be on the undercard. This will be a good thing if Arum finds Rigondeaux a good opponent that’s well known.
Putting Rigondeaux in with one of his little known Top Rank stable fighters Robert Marroquin did Rigondeaux no good because he actually lost cache for that fight when he was staggered a few times by the much bigger looking Marroquin. Rigondeaux still ended up totally dominating Marroquin in between those three occasions and ended up winning by a lopsided 12 round unanimous decision. But because Rigondeaux was facing an unknown heavier looking fighter and because he was hurt three times, Rigondeaux got nothing from that fight.
In Rigondeaux’s bout before that, he defeated bottom fringe contender Teon Kennedy by a 5th round TKO last June. If these are the kinds of fights Arum is going to put him in then Rigondeaux isn’t really coming out ahead with being with them.
Hopefully, Arum is putting Rigondeaux on the undercard of the Donaire-Arce fight with the goal of getting boxing fans excited about an eventual Rigondeaux-Donaire fight because that would seem to be the only real plus. Arum can’t wait forever to make this fight happen because Rigondeaux is getting up there in age at 32 and that’s not young for a smaller fighter.
Sooner or later Rigondeaux could get beaten if Arum keeps putting him in with big super bantamweights like Marroquin. I don’t see it happening for at least couple of years, possibly more, but this thing can stretch out to where Rigondeaux doesn’t get a shot against Donaire until he’s fully a shot fighter.
More Boxing News:
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs. Mario Abel Cazares on Sept.25 in Tijuana, Mexico
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- WBC: Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Jorge Arce
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire on May 16 on Showtime
- 2020 – The end of legends?
- Gervonta Davis vs. Leo Santa Cruz moved to Oct.31 at San Antonio’s Alamodome
- Floyd Mayweather Jr ready to improve Deontay Wilder’s skills
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder III being moved off Dec.19th date
- Daniel Jacobs vs. Gabe Rosado on November 27th on DAZN
- Patrick Teixeira calls out Jermell Charlo – “I’ll end his career”