Marquez in position as spoiler to ruin Arum’s plans for Pacquiao
By Chris Williams: If Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is really interested in putting his fighter Manny Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KO’s) in with the winner of Saturday’s light welterweight clash between Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado, Arum might have to do it with Pacquiao in an especially weakened position coming off of another loss.
Arum recently said that he wants to put Pacquiao in with the Rios vs. Alvarado winner, and he sees it being a huge fight that could take place in April of next year. However, there’s just one problem with that. Pacquiao has to first defeat Juan Manuel Marquez (54-6-1, 39 KO’s) and he can’t do it by controversy like in the last two times he fought Marquez and beat him.
It can’t be like that, and it can’t be like the way fellow Top Rank fighter Rios defeated Richard Abril in his last fight. It’s got to be a clear win, because if Pacquiao wins another fight where he’s dominated like he was in the last two fights with Marquez, then I don’t know of anyone that would want to watch Pacquiao fight Rios or Alvarado.
I don’t know of anyone that would want to watch them fight period, even if Pacquiao does get by Marquez. It’s not a big fight and he’s not going to be able to prove much against either of them.
Marquez probably doesn’t like the idea that Arum has already penciled Pacquiao in for next April, and he’s probably not to excited about Arum already talking about Pacquiao’s next fight after the Marquez bout by talking about him fighting Rios or Alvarado.
That’s not exactly sporting for Arum to do this, as it doesn’t give Marquez any credit. Arum should standing by before talking about what Pacquiao’s future plans are, because Marquez can easily defeat him and then Pacquiao and Arum will look bad for overlooking Marquez.
More Boxing News:
- Malignaggi discusses Spence, Pacquiao vs. Garcia & Thurman vs. Porter
- Tonight: WATCH 5 hours of Top Rank Boxing on ESPN2
- Bob Arum: Pacquiao is an OLD man, leave him alone
- Danny Garcia: Spence or Pacquiao fights can happen this summer
- Malignaggi PREVIEWS Manny Pacquiao vs. Mikey Garcia fight
- Teofimo Lopez just wants to BEAT up Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Jaime Munguia in no rush to fight Canelo and GGG
- Daniel Dubois vs. Joe Joyce – NOT behind closed doors: Warren gives update
- Whyte says Andy Ruiz Jr. is a FAT coward for not accepting offer
- Danny Garcia the WBC mandatory to Errol Spence