Weights: George-Stevenson, Lemieux-Gaona
By Jim Dower: Adonis Stevenson (18-1, 15 KO’s) and Don George (23-2-1, 20 KO’s) successfully weighed in today for their IBF super middleweight eliminator bout on Friday night at the Bell Centre, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The 35-year-old Stevenson came in right at the super middleweight limit at 168 lbs, whereas Geroge came in a little lighter at 167.2 pounds.
Also on on the card, former middleweight contender David Lemieux (26-2, 25 KO’s) weighted in a little over the middleweight limit at 163.6 in his non-title fight scheduled for 10 rounds against Alvaro Gaona (11-1, 7 KO’s). For his part, the 27-year-old Gaona came in at 161.8 lbs.
Stevenson will be without his trainer Emanuel Steward, who is still recovering from stomach surgery. Stevenson is dedicating this fight to him. There’s a lot riding on this fight for Stevenson, because a victory for him will lock him in as the mandatory for Carl Froch, the IBF super middleweight champion. Stevenson may never get a chance at fighting Froch, however, because Froch may retire after his next three fights and Stevenson isn’t likely to be one of those three.
Both Stevenson and George can really punch, but Stevenson’s speed is much better. His shorts are hard to see coming and his southpaw stance makes him an even tougher fighter to beat. Stevenson does have vulnerabilities in the chin department, so if he’s not able to get the big hitting George out of there in the first six rounds he could have problems later on in the fight when George usually comes on strong.
Lemieux, 23, has lost two out of his last three fights and is in the rebuilding stage of his career. He’s got to to unlearn all of his bad habits of trying to KO everyone in the first round and learn how to actually fight. Lemieux’s stamina is one his big flaws and it will likely continue to be a problem for him as long as he tries to KO everybody in the 1st round like he’s been doing since he turned pro in 2007.
Here are the full weights for the card:
Adonis Stevenson 168 vs. Donovan George 167.2
David Lemieux 163.6 vs. Alvaro Gaona 161.8
Kevin Bizier 152.2 vs. Patryk Litkiewicz 152.8
John O’Donnell 149.2 vs. Tomas Mendez **
Oscar Rivas 242.4 vs. Joey Dawejko 251.6
Didier Bence 222.8 vs. Harold Sconiers 217.2
Eleider Alvarez 176.6 vs. Daniel Regi 179
More Boxing News:
- David Lemieux in discussions for Canelo Alvarez’s opponent on September 12
- David Lemieux vs. Max Bursak on December 7 in Montreal, Canada
- David Lemieux injured, fight with John Ryder OFF
- David Lemieux injured, pulls out of John Ryder fight
- David Lemieux: ‘Ryder will be a statement fight for me’
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey
- Canelo Alvarez: Who will he fight next on September 12th?
- Oscar De La Hoya frustrated with Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell negotiations
- Roy Jones Jr looking sharp in training for Mike Tyson