Lara-Martirosyan: Fireworks on 11/10
By Dan Ambrose: Cuban Erislandy Lara (17-1-1, 11 KO’s) will be facing his first opponent with big power in unbeaten Vanes Martirosyan (32-0, 20 KO’s) in their WBC final 154 pound eliminator on November 10th at the Wynn Resort, in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. The winner of this fight gets a shot at WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez at some point in the hopefully not too distant future.
The Lara vs. Martirosyan bout is almost guaranteed to have fireworks from start to finish because both of these guys will be looking to slug. Lara, 29, is more of a single shot fighter in the Floyd Mayweather Jr. mold. He doesn’t tend to slug with his opponents very much, preferring to box and move so that he doesn’t get hit a lot. But in this fight he’s going to have to stand his ground because he’s not going to be able to pot shot his way to victory against Martirosyan.
That style won’t work because Martirosyan can box from the outside too, and he’s not someone that Lara can beat by jabbing and landing lead left hands. Martirosyan will walk though those shots and give Lara problems with combinations.
Lara was shaken up pretty bad in his fight against Grady Brewer in January 2010. That was the closest that Lara has come to fighting a puncher, but that guy is nothing like Martirosyan in the power and speed department. Lara is going to be getting hit a lot harder in this fight and on a much more frequent basis than he’s been hit before. I don’t know if Lara can handle getting hit that much because he’s one of those fighters that is good at dishing it out but not so good at taking the punishment in return. Lara is definitely going to be getting hit a lot in this fight and if he’s not able to handle those big shots then he’s going to be tasting the canvas.
I doubt the winner of the Lara vs. Martirosyan fight will be getting a shot against Canelo Alvarex in 2013. If anything, I can see Golden Boy Promotions stringing it out to 2014 or possibly 2015, while Alvarez matures and fights the guys he wants to fight.
More Boxing News:
- Fox Sports and PBC announce blockbuster schedule for 2020
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles
- Results / Photos: Lara beats Alvarez, Fundora and Clark fight to Split Draw
- Boxing results: Erislandy Lara destroys Ramon Alvarez
- Erislandy Lara vs. Ramon Alvarez final press conference quotes
- Jermell Charlo and Billy Joe Saunders trade trash talk
- Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney must wait for Tank Davis clash says Mayweather Promoter
- Vasily Lomachenko reducing his purse to get Teofimo Lopez fight done
- Leo Santa Cruz can’t afford to take shots from Gervonta Davis
- Eddie Hearn wants Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 cancelled if it’s pushed back to February 2021