Fernando Montiel vs. Giovanni Caro on November 24th
By Allan Fox: Former three division world champion Fernando Montiel (48-4-2, 37 KO’s) will be back in the ring on November 24th against journeyman Giovanni Caro (24-11-4, 19 KO’s) in a bout at the Gimnasio Nacional Josue Neri Santos, Chihuahua, Mexico. Caro, 28, has lost three out of his last five fights and should be an easy mark for the 33-year-old Montiel, who has definitely seen better days himself.
Montiel has lost two out of his last five fights, suffering a crushing 2nd round knockout defeat to Nonito Donaire last year in February, and then losing to Victor Terrazas by a 12 round unanimous decision last November. #4 WBC, Montiel has come back to win his last two fights against Angky Angkota and Arturo Santos Reyes this year, but he’s not looked great in either fight. The 5’4″ Montiel doesn’t have the size to be fighting at super bantamweight and clearly doesn’t belong in this weight class.
Montiel was a lot better at flyweight and super flyweight, but started to struggle when he moved up to bantamweight and his struggles have continued since he moved up to super bantamweight. Montiel seems to be chasing the money fighters because there’s little money at flyweight, super flyweight and bantamweight. He obviously would love to get a rematch against Donaire but that’s going to be tough unless Montiel beats some notable fighters to get the attention of the boxing public and Donaire’s promoter Bob Arum.
Fighting the likes of Caro and Reyes won’t get the job done for Montiel. He was beaten too soundly by Donaire, he’s got to do something dramatic if he wants to get another title shot against him. Montiel struggled badly in his last fight against the 26-year-old Reyes, and he was really fortunate to escape with a win because he easily could have been the loser in that fight.
More Boxing News:
- Jorge Lara destroys Fernando Montiel in 1st round TKO
- Berto-Ortiz, Montiel-Lara make weight
- Victor Ortiz, Andre Berto, Jorge Lara & Fernando Montiel Press Conference Quote
- Ortiz-Berto, Rodriguez-Williams & Montiel-Lara on 4/30
- Abner Mares faces Fernando Montiel on 3/12 on Thurman-Porter card
- Danny Garcia beats Errol Spence predicts Jaron Ennis’ coach Acosta
- Jorge Linares tests positive for coronavirus
- Fury vs. Wilder 3 must face mandatory Whyte says WBC president
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Felix Verdejo possible on Oct.3 if Teofimo fight falls through