Arce: I’ll fight Donaire if I get what I’m worth
By Chris Williams: Former four division world champion Jorge Arce (61-6-2, 46 KO’s) is up for fighting WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (30-1, 19 KO’s) on December 15th, but Donaire’s promoter Bob Arum is going to have to loosen up his pocket book and find enough change to give Arce for him to want to take this dangerous fight. Arce won’t be bought with chickenfeed.
Arce told the Record.com.mx “I am ready, everybody knows that I am ready to fight at the end of the year…I would be happy to give him [Donaire] the fight, but I hope I get the right price. I’m not asking for the pearls of the virgin. I just want what I think the fight is worth…I think Donaire has fought fighters who were afraid…I can win…I’m not going to have any respect.”
Arce went on to say that he really wants the fight with Donaire, but only if they can reach an agreement during negotiations for the fight. He doesn’t want to take a small payday for a fight of this magnitude, so we’re going to have to see Arum either open his own pocketbook or get his fighter Donaire to agree to take less than what he usually does in order to get the fight with Arce.
I don’t see Arum getting Arce for this fight. If you listen to some of Donaire’s interviews, he’s constantly taking about how the opponents that he wants to fight price themselves out. We’ve already heard that Anselmo Moreno, Guillermo Rigondeaux and also Arce himself have supposedly priced themselves out for a fight with Donaire by asking for too much money.
Donaire himself said that he doesn’t want to take regular money for a big fight, so you can see there’s a possible problem that could keep the fight from getting made. My guess is Donaire won’t want to take less than he usually gets, and Arum won’t find the extra money to get Arce to come on board. In that case Donaire will have to look at another alternative for his next fight.
More Boxing News:
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- WBC: Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Jorge Arce
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire on May 16 on Showtime
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire WBC purse bid won by TGB Promotions
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire purse bid scheduled for Jan.21 at WBC headquarters
- Tank Davis to stream sparring session with Ivan Redkach on Monday
- Alexander Povetkin ready for Dillian Whyte
- Vergil Ortiz Jr in a hurry to face Terence Crawford
- Tureano Johnson and Jason Quigley added to the list for Canelo Alvarez’s next fight
- Canelo vs. Golovkin III targeted for May 2021