Tony Bellew and Edison Miranda battle it out on Saturday in the UK
By Scott Gilfoid: Colombian knockout artist Edison Miranda (35-7, 30 KO’s) will be looking to pole-axe light heavyweight fringe contender Tony Bellew (17-1, 11 KO’s) in their fight on Saturday night in their scheduled 10 round bout at the Alexandria Palace, Muswell Hill, in London, England.
Miranda, 31, may need to knock the 29-year-old Bellew out to ensure that he gets out of there with a win because he might have a hard time winning a decision in that fight being on foreign soil and all.
The card is kind of empty as far as I can tell. Other than this fight there’s just not much there. This is some of what you get to see on this card:
Lee Purdy vs. Gumersindo Lucas Carrasco
Chris Evangelous vs. Danny Connor
Erick Ochieng vs. Ryan Tomms
Other than that, there’s five more fights that have yet to have been put together. That’s never a good sign when you see a bunch of TBAs this close to the fight.
Miranda is probably going to have to chase Bellew around the ring if he wants to knock him out. Bellew is aggressive against non-punchers but in his only fight of his pro career against a big puncher in Ovil McKenzie, Bellew boxed rather than slugged and it was awful to look at. Talk about boring fights. Bellew fought McKenzie twice and beat him both times. But Miranda is a step above McKenzie in power and I expect Bellew to be off to the races on Saturday night when the fight starts.
If Bellew does try and trade with Miranda he’ll quickly get knocked out. Miranda is too powerful and we’ve seen Bellew hit the canvas more than once in his career. Miranda will destroy Bellew if the Brit comes to slug with him, but I don’t see that happening. Bellew will bring his track shoes with him on Saturday night and likely run.
More Boxing News:
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback
- Fury is #1 heavyweight but Joshua BEATS him – Tony Bellew
- Tony Bellew: ‘I’d Make a FOOL of Andy Ruiz Jr’
- Bellew: Lomachenko will have problems at 140
- Tony Bellew: ‘Lomachenko makes Gervonta Davis look stupid”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey