Haye: Me against Vitali is the second biggest fight in boxing behind Pacquiao vs. Mayweather
By William Mackay: Former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye wants to try and convince WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko that he’d be making the right move in choosing to fight him next because of the huge publicity a fight between the two would generate. Haye believe a Haye-Vitali fight would be the second biggest fight in the sport behind Manny Pacquiao – Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Haye said to Sky Sports News “Jose Suliaman understood that I’m the biggest fight out there for Vitali Klitschko. He’d welcome me to challenge Vitali for the WBC title. That’s the fight the world wants to see and he knows it. Vitali knows that. Other than Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. fighting, the next biggest fight out the planet is me vs. Vitali Klitschko. We would generate more money than any other heavyweight contest. It would fill any soccer stadium anywhere in the world.”
I think Vitali is well aware that a fight between him and Haye would make a ton of money. However, Vitali doesn’t seem to be all that interested in taking any risky fights right now at this point in his career, because if he had he would have agreed to fight Haye before choosing Manuel Charr to fight last Saturday night. Vitali could have made a ton of money facing Haye, and instead opted for the smaller money in a sure thing fight against a badly over-matched Charr.
Haye might be overdoing it a little in trying to sell a fight between him and Vitali. I think it would be a good fight but I don’t see it as being the second biggest fight in the sport right now. It would be big in England and Germany, but those two populations are smaller than the United States, where Vitali isn’t a star nor even close to being one.
There are bigger fights in boxing than a Haye-Vitali fight. But as far as heavyweight action goes, Vitali-Haye is no doubt the biggest thing that can be made right now, but that’s not saying a whole lot because the division is filled with mediocre heavyweights right now.
- David Haye predicts Joshua crushes Fury in early KO
- Dereck Chisora wants Joe Joyce fight next
- David Haye pushing for Dillian Whyte vs. Dereck Chisora 3 on November 21st
- David Haye wants Chisora to fight Dillian Whyte in trilogy
- Amir Khan predicts Pacquiao vs. Spence & Crawford vs. Porter
- Joseph Diaz Jr: ‘I want Ryan Garcia or Haney next, whoever accepts’
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Dmitry Bivol at catchweight between 168 and 175
- Leonard Ellerbe questions Canelo Alvarez’s level of opposition, wants him to fight Benavidez, Charlo & Plant