Golovkin stops Proksa; Dzinziruk – Gonzalez fight ends in draw
By Jim Dower: WBA World middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (24-0, 21 KO’s) is on the cusp of stardom after destroying a very tough Grzegorz Proksa (28-2, 21 KO’s) in a 5th round knockout win on Saturday night in a fight televised by HBO at the Turning Stone Resort & Casino, in Verona, New York, United States.
Golovkin, a former 2004 Olympian from Kazakhstan, made it look effortless in knocking the 27-year-old Proksa down three times en route to getting a 5th round knockout. Golovkin had Proksa down in the 1st, 4th and 5th rounds from huge shots.
All the slick fighting tricks that Proksa tried on Golovkin were useless, as Golokin’s pinpoint accurate shots found Proksa again and again. Proksa didn’t exactly help himself by insisting on fighting with his hands down by his sides, looking like a poor imitation of Sergio Martinez without the hand speed and quick reflexes.
In the 5th, Golovkin hurt Proksa with a powerful right hand to the head that had him staggering. Golovkin then sent Proksa down face first on the canvas with a series of solid shots to the head. Although Proksa staggered to his feet, the referee wisely halted the fight at 1:11 of the round.
In other fights on the card:
Ryan McKenzie TKO 6 Borngod Washington
Tureano Johnson TKO 4 Cleven Ishe
Tony Luis KO 1 Andres Ledesma
Serhiy Dzinziruk Draw 12 Jonathan Gonzalez
More Boxing News:
- Eubank Jr wants Canelo, Golovkin, Murata or Jermall title shot
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennadiy Golovkin III: Will this fight happen in 2021?
- Where will Canelo and Golovkin go if DAZN folds?
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Gennadiy Golovkin vs. Kamil Szeremeta still being negotiated
- Errol Spence Jr motivated by the doubters
- Charlo vs. Derevyanchenko and Jermell vs Rosario preview & prediction
- Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong this Saturday on Sept.26
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko training camp quotes for Saturday against Jermall Charlo
- Kell Brook: I can hurt Terence Crawford 100%