Berto back in the ring in November, Robert Guerrero a possibility
By Eric Thomas: Former IBF/WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto (28-1, 22 KO’s) says he’ll be back in the ring in November against a still to be determined opponent. However, Berto says he could be fighting for a title at that time. The only real option he has to fight for a title against at that time would be WBC interim champion Robert Guerrero.
Berto said on his twitter page “Looks like early Nov. I can’t tell you but I will say it might be for a title.”
The welterweight champions are all booked up at that time except for the WBC interim champ Guerrero, who is looking for a big money fight against a popular fighter. Berto would be the ideal opponent for Guerrero to face, because if he can beat Berto, a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. could become a very real possibility for him. Guerrero won’t get a fight against Manny Pacquiao no matter who Guerrero beats, because Pacquiao fights for Top Rank, and they would likely not be interested in a Pacquiao-Guerrero fight.
Berto hasn’t fought since beating IBF welterweight champion Jan Zaveck last year in September. Berto was hoping to get a fight against Victor Ortiz, but Berto suffered a ruptured left biceps muscle. After the injury healed, Berto tested positive for a banned substance and that completely wiped out the Ortiz fight. It’s now been determined that Berto likely ingested some contaminated food that caused the positive reading.
You would have to favor Berto in a fight agaisnt Guerrero because Berto is much faster and by far the bigger puncher. I would be surprised if Guerrero took the fight because it’s a dangerous fight for him given that he wants to get a big money fight against Mayweather. But a win over Berto might be enough to get Guerrero the fight he wants against Mayweather.
More Boxing News:
- Photos / Results: Robert Guerrero & Joey Spencer Win on PPV Prelims
- Errol Spence decisions Shawn Porter – Live results
- Spence vs. Porter undercard final press conference quotes
- Shawn Porter, Anthony Dirrell & Robert Guerrero Las Vegas media quotes
- David Benavidez & Mario Barrios, & Josesito Lopez discuss Mexican Independence day holiday
- Gervonta Davis WARNS Ryan Garcia that he’ll slap him
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year
- Whyte wants WBC to force Fury to fight him next in 2020
- Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo possible for June 9