Peter Quillin to fight on Bailey-Alexander undercard on September 8th
By Jason Kim: Unbeaten middleweight contender Peter Quillin (27-0, 20 KO’s) will be back in action on September 8th in a scheduled 10 round bout on the undercard of the Devon Alexander vs. Randall Bailey fight in a venue still to be determined.
The 29-year-old Quillin, #3 WBO, #5 WBA, #12 WBC, still doesn’t have an opponent picked out as of yet, but it’s likely going to be a top 15 contender at the minimum this time because Quillin’s fight will be the co-feature bout on the card. He can’t fight another 41-year-old like Ronald “Winky” Wright like he did in his last fight earlier this month. Quillin won that fight by a lopsided 10 round unanimous decision, but it was a no win situation for Quillin due to the advantage age of Wright and the amount of time he’d been out of the ring. Wright hadn’t fought in three years and had only fought once in the past five years.
Quillin is 29-years-old and at that age he’s supposed to be fighting better opposition you would think. If Quillin wants a world title shot in 2013, he’s got to start facing better opposition. Quillin has two reasonably good wins on his resume against Craig McEwan and Jesse Brinkley, but he needs more than that for a fighter his age. His career has been brought a long too slowly to the point where he’s not going to have much time at the top if he ever gets there.
Quillin’s trainer Freddie Roach needs to work with Quillin on developing a jab, as well as an inside game. Quillin has neither. He can throw a jab, but it lacks power and he doesn’t throw it enough. On the inside, Quillin is nearly helpless and, like a lot of Roach fighters, basically just clinches to shut down inside fighting. On the outside, Quillin mainly throws one punch at a time instead of combinations. It was enough for him to beat an old fighter like Wright with those limitations, but against a good fighter like Sergio Martinez, Quillin will be out of his league.
More Boxing News:
- Photos / Results: Angulo defeats Quillin – Colbert, Dulorme and Ramos Also Victorious
- Boxing Results: Alfredo Angulo defeats Peter Quillin
- Peter Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo undercard updates for Sept.21 on FS2
- Peter Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo on Sept.2 on FS1
- Quillin: Andy Ruiz Jr. should have a say in Joshua negotiations
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz