Chavez Jr – Lee given green light for Sun Bowl
By Jason Kim: The University of Texas chancellor has decided to let the June 16th fight between WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Andy Lee to go ahead for the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas.
This comes after the they ruled not to let the fight occur there due to fears of drug cartel wars in Juarez, which is a nearby city.
According to fightnews.com, alcohol will not be sold at the fight.
After the Chavez-Lee fight was initially not given permission to fight at the Sun Bowl, Top Rank, Chavez Jr’s promotional company, wasn’t happy about the decision from the University of Texas and kept pushing in order to have the fight take place there.
The reason why they want the Chavez Jr. vs. Lee fight to take place in that venue is to take advantage of the huge Mexican community in the area. There are a lot of fans of Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., Chavez Jr’s famous father, that will no doubt be interested in seeing his son fight. There’s talk of the Chavez-Lee fight bringing in as many as 40,000 fans at the Sun Bowl.
That’s a huge number given that Chavez Jr. has yet to face a dangerous opponent. Lee will be Chavez’s first real fight against a quality opponent and there’s some fans who think Lee may need a KO in order to make sure he gets the win. Sergio Martinez, a former WBC 160 pound champ, has been after Chavez Jr. for a year now trying to get a fight with him but hasn’t had any luck. Supposedly, Chavez Jr. and Martinez will fight in September if Chavez Jr. can get by Lee on June 16th. That’s a big IF because Lee is a lot better than the guys that Chavez Jr. has been fighting in his career up to this point.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Mario Cazares defeats Julio Cesar Chavez Jr by a 6th round technical decision
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs. Mario Abel Cazares on Sept.25 in Tijuana, Mexico
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. suspended by NSAC for refusing to take drug test
- Deontay Wilder SHOULDN’T take rematch with Tyson Fury right now – Andy Lee
- Andy Lee surprised Deontay Wilder taking rematch with Tyson Fury
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Jeison Rosario message after knockout loss to Jermell Charlo