Broner cool to the idea of fighting Salido
By Jason Kim: WBO featherweight champion Orlando Salido (38-11-2, 26 KO’s) badly wants to fight WBO super featherweight champion Adrien Broner (23-0, 19 KO’s) and wants to move up to super featherweight to make the fight happen, according to boxing news from examiner.com. However, the 22-year-old Broner isn’t all that interested in taking the fight.
Broner has a bout coming up next month against Gary Sykes (20-2, 5 KO’s) on May 19th at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. Broner is kind of in a situation where he’s fighting for HBO, whereas Salido is fighting for Showtime. That right that makes a fight between Broner and the 31-year-old Salido next to impossible to make. Besides that, Broner doesn’t make the decisions about who he fights. That’s done by his promoters at Golden Boy Promotions. They pull the strings with regard to who the 22-year-old Broner is fighting.
Salido is coming off of back to back wins over former WBO featherweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez in stoppage victories. As good as those victories are for Salido, they may be about as good as Salido can get at that weight because there’s just no big name fighters available once you get past Lopez. The other options at that weight aren’t nearly as interesting such as Jhonny Gonzalez, Chris John, Mike Garcia, Billy Dib and Celestino Caballero.
Broner, a Floyd Mayweather Jr. clone, has big things expected of him at super featherweight. He’s arguably the top guy in the division right now, but even he may have to move up in weight to the lightweight division in order to get important fights. The only options available for Broner at super featherweight is Takashi Uchiyama, Juan Carlos Salgado, and Takashiro Aoh. Those aren’t exactly household names and there’s no real upside to beating them unless Broner is interested in moving up to the lightweight division in the near future.
More Boxing News:
- Teddy Atlas: Adrien Broner needs HELP, it’s sad
- Adrien Broner’s career takes a hit, arrested for DUI in Miami
- Adrien Broner on Devin Haney: ‘I’ll STOP him; he’s the one trolling’
- Adrien Broner ARRESTED at Wilder-Fury 2 weigh-in at MGM
- Adrien Broner still wants $20 million for Devin Haney fight
- Teofimo Lopez just wants to BEAT up Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Jaime Munguia in no rush to fight Canelo and GGG
- Daniel Dubois vs. Joe Joyce – NOT behind closed doors: Warren gives update
- Whyte says Andy Ruiz Jr. is a FAT coward for not accepting offer
- Danny Garcia the WBC mandatory to Errol Spence