Mayweather: Without Pacquiao, I’m still going to make $60-70 million in 30 minutes against Cotto
By Chris Williams: Floyd Mayweather Jr. was willing to give WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao a piece of the action by letting him get a big $40 million payday against him for a fight on May 5th, but Pacquiao got greedy and didn’t want to accept the huge $40 million offer that Mayweather offered him.
Pacquiao and his promoter Bob Arum wanted even more of the pie in a mega fight with Floyd. Sadly, Pacquiao and Arum wanted messed themselves up to where they won’t get the big payday and will have to settle for a lot less in a likely fight with Timothy Bradley.
Mayweather doesn’t need Pacquiao to make huge money. He’s fighting WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto on May 5th, and that pay per view is going to bring in big bucks for both Mayweather and Cotto.
Mayweather said this to ABS-CBN – News: “Without Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather is still gonna make $60-70 million in 30 minutes. Tell him to watch me and Miguel Cotto. I’m happy that I am my own promoter you know. I am my own promoter. There’s a lot of money that go around.”
Yes, Mayweather doesn’t have to give a promoter 25% of his earnings and thus makes a huge amount of money each time he fights. $60 million for a fight against Cotto would be out of this world. If Mayweather can bring that kind of money in against Cotto, then there really is no point in trying to get a fight with Pacquiao because he’d only be trying to cut in on Mayweather’s cash by asking for a 50-50 purse split.
Forget that. Mayweather shouldn’t give Pacquiao an even split when the guy has had all those catchweight fights during his career and fights against fading fighters. Mayweather deserves at least a 60-40 split with Pacquiao and that’s the best I could come up with.
More Boxing News:
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Gervonta Davis training with Floyd Mayweather, preparing for Santa Cruz
- Floyd Mayweather Jr offered “sick” money for exhibition fights
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- David Benavidez: Is it time to move up to 175?
- Jean Pascal is Artur Beterbiev’s WBC mandatory at 175
- Hearn hints Fury won’t get same deal with Joshua if he vacates WBC title without fighting Whyte
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner