Donaire to fight Jorge Arce next
By Chris Williams: WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (28-1, 18 KO’s) will be fighting Jorge Arce (59-6-2, 45 KO’s) next provided that the 32-year-old Arce gets past his next opponent Lorenzo Parra on February 18th.
Arce could very well lose that fight, as Parra and Arce fought to a 10 round draw in September 2010, in a fight that most boxing fans felt that Parra should have won. Arce might win another controversial decision and then limp into the Donaire fight.
I personally have zero interest in seeing an old Arce fight Donaire. It’s a mismatch, because Arce is old and will likely be retiring soon. I’d much rather see Donaire skip straight to WBA World super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux next.
However, that’s not going to happen. Arce has a large Mexican community and Donaire and his promoter Bob Arum want to take advantage of that by fighting him next rather than someone that could possibly beat him like Rigondeaux.
The plan is for Donaire to fight Arce and then after beating him then move on to WBC super bantamweight champion Toshiaki Nishioka. Rigondeaux was recently mentioned by Arum as being the third fight for Donaire at super bantamweight, but I’ll believe that when I see it. It appears that after Donaire struggled to beat Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. last Saturday that Donaire and his management are no longer in such a big hurry to move up in weight to the featherweight division anymore. That makes sense.
You throw slender Donaire in with a good featherweight like Juan Manuel Lopez or Orlando Salido, and he’d get his head taken off at the shoulders. Those guys would walk through Donaire’s shots and hit him much harder than what Vazquez Jr. was doing. I don’t think Donaire has the body to fight at featherweight. Lopez, Salido, and Yuriorkis Gamboa would mess him up. And other fighters like Jhonny Gonzalez, Chris John and Celestino Caballero would also ruin his world.
More Boxing News:
- WBC: Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Jorge Arce
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire on May 16 on Showtime
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire WBC purse bid won by TGB Promotions
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire purse bid scheduled for Jan.21 at WBC headquarters
- WBC orders Nordine Oubaali to defend 118-lb title against Nonito Donaire
- Joshua vs. Pulev possible for smaller venue in UK
- Jamel Herring and Jonathan Oquendo have agreed to terms for July 2 on ESPN in Las Vegas
- Devin Haney hanging with Mayweather, says Teofimo Lopez never sent offer
- Dillian Whyte wants Francis Ngannou fight
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September