Donaire to fight Jorge Arce next
By Chris Williams: WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (28-1, 18 KO’s) will be fighting Jorge Arce (59-6-2, 45 KO’s) next provided that the 32-year-old Arce gets past his next opponent Lorenzo Parra on February 18th.
Arce could very well lose that fight, as Parra and Arce fought to a 10 round draw in September 2010, in a fight that most boxing fans felt that Parra should have won. Arce might win another controversial decision and then limp into the Donaire fight.
I personally have zero interest in seeing an old Arce fight Donaire. It’s a mismatch, because Arce is old and will likely be retiring soon. I’d much rather see Donaire skip straight to WBA World super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux next.
However, that’s not going to happen. Arce has a large Mexican community and Donaire and his promoter Bob Arum want to take advantage of that by fighting him next rather than someone that could possibly beat him like Rigondeaux.
The plan is for Donaire to fight Arce and then after beating him then move on to WBC super bantamweight champion Toshiaki Nishioka. Rigondeaux was recently mentioned by Arum as being the third fight for Donaire at super bantamweight, but I’ll believe that when I see it. It appears that after Donaire struggled to beat Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. last Saturday that Donaire and his management are no longer in such a big hurry to move up in weight to the featherweight division anymore. That makes sense.
You throw slender Donaire in with a good featherweight like Juan Manuel Lopez or Orlando Salido, and he’d get his head taken off at the shoulders. Those guys would walk through Donaire’s shots and hit him much harder than what Vazquez Jr. was doing. I don’t think Donaire has the body to fight at featherweight. Lopez, Salido, and Yuriorkis Gamboa would mess him up. And other fighters like Jhonny Gonzalez, Chris John and Celestino Caballero would also ruin his world.
More Boxing News:
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs. Mario Abel Cazares on Sept.25 in Tijuana, Mexico
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- WBC: Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Jorge Arce
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire on May 16 on Showtime
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire WBC purse bid won by TGB Promotions
- Jaime Munguia vs. Tureano Johnson – preview & prediction for Oct.30
- ESPN ranks Terence Crawford #1 pound-for-pound, above Errol Spence
- Eddie Hearn blew chance to ink Tyson Fury in 2017
- Gary Russell Jr wants Miguel Berchelt at 130, asks WBC to order fight
- Adrien Broner gives Redkach the Mayweather treatment