Broner chokes Perez during stare-down on Friday’s weigh-in
(PHOTO CREDIT: Tom Hogan – Hoganphotos/Golden Boy Promotions) By Scott Gilfoid: Following the blueprint of his idol Floyd Mayweather Jr., unbeaten WBO super featherweight champion Adrien Broner (22-0, 18 KO’s) reached over and started choking challenger Eloy Perez (23-0-2, 7 KO’s) during their stare down on Friday after their weigh-in. Broner, 22, had time enough to briefly throttle the startled looking Perez before the two fighters were separated.
Broner’s choking of Perez looked like a carbon copy of Mayweather’s chocking of Victor Ortiz during the weigh-in for their fight last September. Broner has gotten the better of Perez all throughout the press conferences, clowning Perez at every opportunity available. Perez, nowhere near as good a good a talker as Broner, has mostly just smiled and offered up limited one liners that have fallen flat. Mostly, Perez’s trainer has done the talking for him and it’s seemed rather odd. Even Broner, has made fun of this fact, and sees Perez as wanting “No Problems” with him.
According to RingTV, there will be extra security assigned to Saturday’s fight at the Scottrade Center, Saint Louis, Missouri, just in case any violence breaks out after or during the fights.
Broner, 22, has done a sensational job of upstaging the main event between Devon Alexander and Marcos Maidana with his trash talking, quick wit and his charismatic charm. In every press conference, Broner has shown like a bright light upon the stage compared to Maidana and Alexander. Broner has literally stolen the limelight from these fighters.
It’s going to be hard for Broner to live up to the expectations that a lot of people have for him against Perez, but I expect him to look sensational and really impress in this fight. Broner has the perfect opponent for him to shine against, as Perez likes to come forward to try and slug. Although he doesn’t have any power to speak of, Perez fights like a slugger and will make it easy for Broner to land his powerful counter shots in this fight.
More Boxing News:
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Adrien Broner and Devin Haney interested in fighting
- Adrien Broner: If I return to 135, I’ll destroy the weight class
- Errol Spence Jr motivated by the doubters
- Charlo vs. Derevyanchenko and Jermell vs Rosario preview & prediction
- Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong this Saturday on Sept.26
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko training camp quotes for Saturday against Jermall Charlo
- Kell Brook: I can hurt Terence Crawford 100%