Ortiz thinks Pacquiao should be able to call the shots for Cotto rematch
By Chris Williams: Victor Ortiz is solidly behind Manny Pacquiao in him being able to call the shots for a rematch with Miguel Cotto, according to examiner.com. Cotto is standing firm in not wanting to drain down from his fighting weight of 154 all the way to 147.
Pacquiao’s World Boxing Organization strap is meaningless to Cotto for a Pacquiao rematch. He just wants to beat the guy and avenge his loss. He doesn’t want the WBO belt because he already had the title and it would be too much work having to drain down to defend it all the time.
But Pacquiao isn’t willing to meet Cotto at 150lbs and the fighters are entrenched with their position. You can completely understand where Cotto’s coming from because he drained down to fight Pacquiao at 145lbs three years ago and was weakened by doing enough to where Pacquiao was able to stop him in the 12th round.
Ortiz told examiner.com writer Chris Robinson “Manny can do what he wants. He’s the champ. He’s the ruler of boxing and his division for a reason.”
Man, Ortiz is really pouring it on thick, isn’t he? I wonder if he’s hoping Pacquiao will choose him for a fight in the near future? Sure seems like it the way he’s lathering it on extra thick for Pacquiao. Ortiz has sparred with Pacquiao in the past and he likes him a lot, as you can judge for yourself in reading his comments.
I think Ortiz is dead wrong about Pacquiao being able to call the shots. He can call them but that doesn’t mean that Cotto has to be a mindless follower and do whatever Pacquiao says so that he can a weight advantage again.
If Pacquiao wants the fight then he needs to let Cotto fight at 150, and get this thing over with already. But if Pacquiao is looking for an extra edge, then he needs to forget all about Cotto because he’s not going to give him another one.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao can win 9th division title against GGG
- Freddie Roach says Pacquiao might want Golovkin next
- Terence Crawford could mess up Errol Spence’s plans for Pacquiao fight
- Crawford vs. Pacquiao possible for Bahrain in 2020
- Errol Spence doesn’t want a tune-up, targeting Pacquiao, Crawford and Danny Garcia
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder trilogy possible for Macau or Australia
- Errol Spence: I got three fights left at 147 before going to 154
- Anthony Joshua INJURED, needs 4 to 6 weeks of rest
- Ricky Hatton says he would have BEATEN Mayweather on the night of Tszyu fight
- Ryan Garcia calls out Gervonta Davis for 2020 fight