Koncz: Maybe next week Pacquiao will announce his next opponent
By Chris Williams: Manny Pacquiao’s personal advisor Michael Koncz says that they may release the name for Pacquiao’s next opponent by the end of next week. Koncz doesn’t say who it will be and is holding onto the information until he’s met with Pacquiao and further discussed it.
It’s unclear why they’re waiting to announce the news but it looks like they want to put the info out during a big press conference to ensure that a huge fuss is made about it.
Koncz told espn.go.com “Manny and I want to talk over a few things so maybe we’ll release who Manny is fighting at the end of next week.”
Let me try and break down this coded message myself. I think what Koncz is saying here is they’ll possibly announce the news next week if Bob Arum gives them all permission and sets up the news conference.
Let’s be real here, Arum is running the show and will probably be the one on the podium making the announcement about Pacquiao’s next opponent with a big smile on his face. Look for Pacquiao to be fighting one of the gang of four that Arum put together.
I would be incredibly shocked if Arum made an announcement that Pacquiao is fighting Mayweather next. That would be the news of the century to be sure. For Pacquiao’s sake, he needs to fight Mayweather real quick before Pacquiao gets beat again like in his last fight against Juan Manuel Marquez. Arum needs to go for the Mayweather fight while there’s still time to cash out. Once Pacquiao gets beat, it will be too late for Arum. He will have once again let a big fight marinate too long and ruined it by waiting rather than pulling the trigger and making it while fans still care and Pacquiao is still relevant.
More Boxing News:
- Jose Ramirez: Mikey Garcia hits harder than Manny Pacquiao
- Mikey Garcia: ‘Manny Pacquiao WANTS a fight with me’
- Mikey Garcia has Manny Pacquiao at top of his list for his next opponent
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Golovkin will HURT Pacquiao says trainer Abel Sanchez
- Carlos Takam 245.7 lbs vs. Jerry Forrest 225.6 lbs – weigh-in results
- Saunders: I’m NOT a stepping stone for Canelo
- Tyson Fury helps out cut-man that saved him against Otto Wallin
- Eddy Reynoso: Ryan Garcia will knockout Luke Campbell
- Dillian Whyte parts ways with trainer Mark Tibbs