Helenius to have shoulder surgery next week
By Allen Fox: EBU heavyweight contender Robert Helenius (17-0, 11 KO’s) will be sidelined for a while recovering from shoulder surgery. The 28-year-old Helenius, #1 WBO, #3 IBF, #3 WBA, #8 WBC, is expected to go under the knife next week on his right shoulder in Heidelberg, Germany, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN.
The injury predates his last performance against Dereck Chisora last month in which Helenius struggled to win a controversial 12 round split decision in Helsinki, Finland. In a separate injury, Helenius hurt his right hand early in the fight in the 2nd round.
The surgery will get in the way of Helenius’ next fight which was supposed to be taking place on March 31st. Helenius won’t be able to make that date and will need at least until June before he’s ready to see action again, says Chris Meyers, the general manager at Sauerland Event.
Helenius fought well in his win over Sergiy Liakhovich in August 2011, stopping the former WBO heavyweight champion in the 9th round. Helenius looked powerful in that fight and blasted Liakhovich with some right hands in the 9th.
The fight against Chisora was a tactical nightmare for Helenius, because he let the short Brit come inside on him to work without tying him up or move away. Had Helenius grabbed Chisora in a clinch or stepped away to hit him with right hands it would have been a lot easier night for him. A lot of people saw the fight as a loss for Helenius. He might want to consider facing Chisora again later on in 2012 after Chisora gets his fight with WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko out of the way and likely loses badly to him.
Besides shoulder surgery, Helenius may need a different trainer that can teach him more things and give him better instructions in between rounds because the mistakes he made in the Liakhovich and Chisora fights suggests that Helenius has some knowledge gaps.
More Boxing News:
- Jamal James vs. Antonio DeMarco, Martin vs Martz, Helenius vs Washington Weigh In Results
- Kubrat Pulev vs. Robert Helenius possible for April 20 Crawford-Khan card
- Robert Helenius defeats Erkan Teper – Results
- Helenius vs Bykhautsou; Tatli vs Urquiaga – RESULTS
- Robert Helenius vs. Yury Bykhautsou II on August 11
- Saunders: I’m NOT a stepping stone for Canelo
- Tyson Fury helps out cut-man that saved him against Otto Wallin
- Eddy Reynoso: Ryan Garcia will knockout Luke Campbell
- Dillian Whyte parts ways with trainer Mark Tibbs
- Ricky Hatton says ‘We CAN’T let Mike Tyson Fight at 53’