Cotto is out of excuses now if he fails against Margarito again
By Dan Ambrose: WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto blames his miserable performance against Antonio Margarito last time they fought on what he believes Margarito having plaster in his wraps. Despite having no proof that Margarito had loaded hand wraps, Cotto has stuck to the belief that Margarito beat him with plaster in his wraps.
This is an excuse that many boxing fans have bough hook line and sinker to the point where they’ve completely dismissed the loss by Cotto without giving Margarito any credit for what he did on that night. Cotto has gotten a pass for that fight, but he won’t be getting a pass tonight if he gets whipped again. It doesn’t what Cotto says tonight, if he loses the fight then he’s going to be seen as the lower. He can’t blame it on plaster again. Cotto is going to have to accept that he got beat by the better fighter and just accept it.
Cotto is going to have to find a way to slow Margarito down this time or else he’s going to get mowed down again. In his last fight against 38-year-old Ricardo Mayorga, Cotto found a way to escape the aging Mayorga’s pressure by moving a lot. Cotto looked just as vulnerable as he did in the Margarito loss when he would stop and try to fight Mayorga. In Cotto’s fight against Yuri Foreman, Cotto dominated with his jab for the first three rounds but then began to take punishment until Foreman injured his leg in the 7th round. Foreman pressured Cotto in the same way that Margarito did and was finding a lot of success until Foreman hurt his leg. In both the Mayorga and Foreman fights, Cotto looked completely beatable and not like a quality champion. He looked more like challenger than a champion.
Tonight, I really hope Cotto doesn’t come up with any weak excuses after the fight if things don’t work out for him again. It’s going to make Cotto look bad if he puts the blame on this or that. I just want to see the guy accept the loss and realize he screwed up.
More Boxing News:
- Super welterweight division still up for grabs
- Antonio Margarito: The “Loaded” Gloves and His Rivalry with Miguel Cotto on Dec 23 on Telemundo
- Sam Eggington hoping for Antonio Margarito fight in States
- Promoting more challenging than fighting for Miguel Cotto
- Miguel Cotto to undergo biceps surgery on Wednesday
- Malignaggi: ‘They did Golovkin DIRTY in first 2 Canelo fights’
- Joshua could fight Ruiz a third time – Hearn
- Brook: ‘I’m the guy to beat Crawford’
- Caleb Plant looking sharp training
- Canelo vs. BJ Saunders not likely to happen