Arum will be doing Pacquiao a big favor by flubbing the Mayweather negotiations
By Chris Williams: I’m fairly certain that WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao really wants to fight WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. next. But I’m also even more certain that Pacquiao will get badly beaten in that fight in a humiliating loss that goes a long ways towards removing Pacquiao as a pay per view star.
Bob Arum, Pacquiao’s long-time trainer at Top Rank, says he’s working on trying to put the fight together with several investors. But I think Arum would be doing Pacquiao a big favor if he messes things up to the point where the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight doesn’t get made.
By screwing up the negotiations for the mega fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather, Arum would actually be doing Pacquiao, Freddie Roach and himself a big favor by keeping Pacquiao winning and staying as a major PPV attraction. Pacquiao can probably keep making $20 million a tight for the next three to five years just facing fighters from Arum’s Top Rank stable over and over and over again.
There’s no end in sight, it’s like something that could stretch far into the future. All Arum would have to do is to make sure he signs a new welterweight, light welterweight or junior middleweight fighter every now and then to ensure that the fights or in house and Pacquiao has someone he can beat. A rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez should probably be forgotten about just as the Mayweather fight is something that should be shelved indefinitely.
If you’re trying to keep the gravy train running at full speed, you can’t mess things up by putting Pacquiao in with Mayweather and have him get beat. That would make Pacquiao just another fighter. He’ll still be on HBO, but fans will have a lasting memory of Mayweather spanking Pacquiao. And no matter how many Top Rank fighters Arum puts Pacquiao in with afterwards will erase the memory of Pacquiao looking totally clueless against Mayweather.
More Boxing News:
- Keith Thurman: I DESERVE a rematch with Manny Pacquiao
- Keith Thurman: Spence is going to have to see me at 147 or leave the division
- Floyd Mayweather Jr hinting about an exhibition fight in 2020
- Jose Ramirez: Mikey Garcia hits harder than Manny Pacquiao
- Mikey Garcia: ‘Manny Pacquiao WANTS a fight with me’
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez looking shaky for October 3
- Hearn offered 4 options to Canelo Alvarez, still NO reply
- Marriaga vs. Yap CANCELLED; Felix Verdejo and Will Madera make weight
- Artur Beterbiev vs. Fanlong Meng on September 25 in Ekaterinburg in Russia
- Chris Arreola has NO sympathy for Andy Ruiz Jr