Who should Juan Manuel Marquez fight next?
By Gerardo Granados: I believe retirement is not an option for the authentic World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion; Marquez may have two more fights inside him so he better gave to the boxing fans the chance to see him fight at least one more time before retiring. But against whom should Marquez fight next? There are a couple of interesting fights left for him to consider only if the boxing fans are willing to see him engage before retiring. At lightweight there is no good fights left for him so he should pick someone at welter or light welter, maybe:
Floyd Mayweather WBC welterweight champion – after the first fight there is no use to see a second.
Manny Pacman Pacquiao WBO welterweight champion (?) – Huge payday for Juan Manuel but there is nothing left to prove for Marquez.
Amir Khan WBA Super World & IBF light welterweight champion – this could be the toughest fight for Marquez due Khan´s speed, height and reach.
Tim Bradley – Tim looked great dismantling the old veteran Joel Casamayor but he has not faced top opposition yet, both are physically similar. Marquez could be too experienced and more ring savvy than Bradley, even more because of trainer Ignacio Beristain.
Erik Morales WBC light welterweight champion – personally I would like to watch this fight; this bout could be shown to teach the young boxers the proper use of the boxing skills, maybe both are veteran lions but they can still put on a great show.
Viacheslav Senchenko WBA World welterweight champion – maybe the easier fight for Marquez at the welterweight division. Viacheslav has never faced top opposition and even less faced a future hall of fame member.
If Marquez decided to retire no one could criticize him and for sure many boxing fans would miss him because currently there are only a few boxers who have polished boxing skills. After eighteen years as a pro fighter there may be nothing left to prove for Dynamite Marquez, but I just hope he decide to climb in to the ring for a last time before retiring, but against who?
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Marquez: Canelo should fight Beterbiev or Bivol
- Bernard Hopkins, Juan M Marquez, Shane Mosley Elected To Boxing Hall Of Fame!
- Canelo has the style to defeat Golovkin says Marquez
- Can Rey Vargas fill the void left by Marquez?
- Hearn talks Jermall Charlo vs. Demetrius Andrade
- Jaime Munguia ready to fight Gennady Golovkin in 2021
- Teofimo wants Ryan Garcia, Tank, and Haney to prove themselves worthy to face him
- Tyson Fury’s shortlist: Kabayel and Takam for Dec.5 in London
- Teofimo Lopez not interested in Vasily Lomachenko rematch