Klitschko-Mormeck: Jean-Marc has the power to KO Wladimir
By Sean McDaniel: Few boxing fans are giving 39-year-old Jean-Marc Mormeck (36-4, 22 KO’s) much of a chance to beat IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (56-3, 49 KO’s) on December 10th at the ESPRIT arena, Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.
This would appear to be a huge mismatch, but you never know what can happen when you’ve a guy with a weak chin like Wladimir facing a puncher like Mormeck. There is a real possibility for an upset in this fight, because Wladimir often misses with his right hands when he throws them from long distance.
Mormeck, with his short arms and big power, he’ has the perfect leverage to make Wladimir pay for every missed punch. If Mormeck can connect with a right hand or a left hook to the off of one of Wladimir’s misses, it could be all over.
I don’t imagine a scenario where Wladimir will punch himself out like he did in his fights against Lamon Brewster and Ross Purity. This is more of Corrie Sanders type of situation where Wladimir goes into the fight without any respect for Mormeck’s power and runs into a big shot from the Frenchman while winging shots.
The one good thing that Wladimir has going for him now compared to in the Purity, Brewster and Sanders fight is that Wladimir knows how to hold when he’s hurt. He may need this if Mormeck connects with one of his power shots.
Another problem for Wladimir is that he’s facing a guy much smaller than him in this fight. Mormeck is really only 5’10” if that, and the 6’6″ Wladimir is going to be fighting at a height that he’s not accustomed to. Wladimir is going to be in a strange situation where he’s punching at a height that ‘s not really used to and that’s could be a big disadvantage for him. As long as Wladimir uses his jab and fights on the outside, he’ll be okay but if he’s throwing left hooks and right hands, Mormeck can get him.
More Boxing News:
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Evander Holyfield training with Wladimir Klitschko
- Chisora: Wladimir Klitschko CAN’T help Usyk inside the ring
- Banks recalls Wladimir Klitschko letting Anthony Joshua off the hook
- Can Wladimir Klitschko still compete with the elite heavyweights?
- Gervonta Davis wants Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell winner
- Boxing Results: Jose Zepeda defeats Kendo Castaneda
- Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Postol in August; Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong in Aug/Sep
- Ryan Garcia: My return is coming
- John Riel Casimero needs a tune-up while waiting for Naoya Inoue