Wladimir Klitschko determined to face 39-year-old Jean Marc Mormeck in December
By William Mackay: With a number of arguably better heavyweights to choose from for his next fight, IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (56-3, 49 KO’s) appears to have his mind made up about wanting to fight 39-year-old former WBA/WBC cruiserweight champion Jean Marc Mormeck (36-4, 22 KO’s) on December 10th at the Esprit area in Dusseldorf, Germany.
This is a considerable step down from Wladimir’s last fight against WBA heavyweight champion David Haye and his last seven fights before that. I think you have to go back all the way to Wladimir’s fight with Ray Austin in 2007 to find a bigger mismatch than the Wladimir-Mormeck bout.
Mormeck was an excellent cruiserweight at one time, but he moved out of the division after being stopped by Haye in 2007. Mormeck has fought three times at heavyweight in the past two years and looked horrible in each one of the fights.
The thing is Mormeck looking horrible still hasn’t affected his ability to draw fans to see him fight in his home city of Paris, France. Fans still flock to see him fight, and he’s won two out of his three fights in front of large crowds in Paris. However, his wins over Timur Ibragimov and Fres Oquendo were very, very questionable. So questionable that Wladimir really should be looking at facing Oquendo or Ibragimov if he wanted a slightly better fight, since a lot of boxing fans thought Mormeck should have lost those two fights.
But Wladimir can certainly do better than this. Look at the guys Wladimir could have faced instead of Mormeck: Denis Boytsov, Alexander Povetkin, Ruslan Chagaev, Chris Arreola, Alexander Ustinov, Tony Thompson, and Eddie Chambers. I’d much prefer to see Wladimir face any one of those guys than seeing him fight a short 5’10” Mormeck, who is about to turn 40-years-old.
More Boxing News:
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Evander Holyfield training with Wladimir Klitschko
- Chisora: Wladimir Klitschko CAN’T help Usyk inside the ring
- Banks recalls Wladimir Klitschko letting Anthony Joshua off the hook
- Can Wladimir Klitschko still compete with the elite heavyweights?
- Andy Ruiz Jr using low impact pool workouts to get in shape
- Redkach wants Adrien Broner on Tank vs. Santa Cruz undercard
- Jeff Horn vs. Tim Tszyu on August 26 in Townsville, Australia
- Tank Davis to stream sparring session with Ivan Redkach on Monday
- Alexander Povetkin ready for Dillian Whyte