Andre Ward badly cut despite wearing a face guard during sparring session
Ward was reportedly wearing a full face guard during the sparring session and shouldn’t have have been in any danger of being cut, yet it happened and it was a bad one that required seven stitches from plastic surgeon Dr. Paul Wallace to close up.
“We were sparring, and then the next thing I know, Brandon Gonzalez, one of the sparring partners, says ‘Man, you’re bleeding,” Hunter said to RingTV. “Once I took a towel an wiped him off and saw the cut, I’m like ‘How on earth did you get that? I’m wondering how it got there. He had the face guard on so you don’t get cut. We had taken all the necessary precautions.”
It could have been a hard shot that went between the holes in the face guard or perhaps when the face guard it caught Wards skin around his right eye and ripped it open.
The good news is that the cut wasn’t a jagged one, because that would make it much more prone to getting torn up against after it heals. But unfortunately Ward’s October 29th Super Six tournament fight against WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch has to be postponed until perhaps December or maybe January 2012.
It all depends on how well the cut heals. Three months is a good amount of time for a cut like that to heal, but there’s going to be a big potential for the healed cut to be re-opened once Froch starts landing some of his big shots on that portion of Ward’s face. If Ward was a huge puncher it wouldn’t matter much, because he would get to Froch and take him out.
However, Ward is mostly a boxer and he needs to be able to fight for 12 rounds with two good eyes. If Ward is forced to fight with blood dripping into his right eye throughout much of the fight, it will give Froch a big advantage. And there’s also the danger that a cut could cause a stoppage. For a long cut like the one Ward suffered, it would be next to impossible for his trainer to be able to stop the bleeding in between rounds. The location of the cut, just above Ward’s right eye, couldn’t have been worse.
More Boxing News:
- Froch: Whyte would give Fury as tough a fight as Joshua
- Andre Ward says Tyson Fury made MISTAKE announcing Joshua fight, giving Wilder motivation
- Andre Ward: ‘Shakur Stevenson has NO ceiling’
- Andre Ward talks Shakur Stevenson win over Caraballo
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Gervonta Davis wants Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell winner
- Boxing Results: Jose Zepeda defeats Kendo Castaneda
- Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Postol in August; Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong in Aug/Sep
- Ryan Garcia: My return is coming
- John Riel Casimero needs a tune-up while waiting for Naoya Inoue