Maidana to fight on September 16th, says Amir Khan doesn’t have the balls to fight him
By William Mackay: Marcos Maidana (30-2, 27 KO’s) will be defending his WBA light welterweight title on September 16th against a still to be determined opponent at the Sociedad Alemana, Villa Ballester, Buenos Aires, Argentina. This comes after his previously scheduled opponent for August 27th, Robert Guerrero, tore up his rotator cuff, and could be out of action for as long as six months.
Maidana, 28, doesn’t want to just sit and wait for Guerrero to heal. Maidana instead will be taking on what will likely be a stay busy fight. His promoter Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions is looking for a good opponent for him but it may not be anyone near the class of Guerrero, especially with the fight not being televised by HBO.
Maidana would like to get a rematch with WBA Super World light welterweight champion Amir Khan. That’s the real guy that Maidana wants to fight. Maidana lost to Khan last December but gave him a real pounding in a fight where Khan basically ran most of the fight and took severe punishment in the last three rounds. By the end of the bout, Khan’s fast was badly swollen, with his nose red and bleeding. Khan looked like someone stomped on his face. It was very hard fight for Khan and he needed to hold for the last three rounds to survive what likely would have been a knockout loss had there been a more hands off type referee working the fight like Steve Smoger.
Maidana said this to ringtv: “I’ve heard that Amir Queen Con has a date on December 10, yet I don’t believe this big mouth has the balls to face me again. He keeps fooling his own fans by making excuses all the time. Everyone in boxing wanted that rematch. I think I deserved it, and he knows it.”
Maidana is right. Pretty much everyone in boxing wanted to see Khan fight Maidana again except Khan, his trainer Freddie Roach, his promoters, and some of his diehard fans. The fight was a natural, one that would make a lot more money than his last two fights against little known Paul McCloskey and an old Zab Judah. Maidana is a competitive opponent, while McCloskey and Judah were mismatches walking in the door. They were good safe fights for Khan.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan says Terence Crawford can beat Floyd Mayweather
- Amir Khan says Kell Brook doesn’t want to fight him
- Errol Spence Jr vs. Danny Garcia is 50-50 fight says Amir Khan
- Amir Khan calling out Oscar De La Hoya
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Carl Froch: Kell Brook is cashing out against Terence Crawford on Nov.14
- Chisora: Oleksandr Usyk will get Fright of his life on October 31st
- Mayweather diminishes Lomachenko’s credentials following loss to Teofimo
- Haye says Whyte in denial about his knockout loss
- Mayweather rants about “too many belts,” wants Ryan Garcia vs. Tank Davis next