Marquez needs another tune-up bout before Pacquiao
By Jason Kim: Juan Manuel Marquez (53-5-1, 39 KO’s) might need to consider taking another tune-up fight to get ready for his November 12th bout against Manny Pacquiao after last night’s amusing joke of a fight against Likar Ramos (24-4, 18 KO’s). Marquez won the fight by a 1st round knockout after hitting the 25-year-old Ramos with a glancing right hand that knocked him flat on the canvas and left him out cold from the shot.
The KO was a very suspicious one because normally fighters that are knocked completely out have a stunned look while on the way down to the canvas. In this case, Ramos seemed to be alert enough to cushion his fall as he hit the canvas and that made it look very suspicious. Also, fighters that are knocked out often have their eyes still open and Ramos were completely shut. It looked fake to me. Perhaps he really was knocked out from that shot but it didn’t look real to me.
Either case, I think the fight didn’t help Marquez any get ready for a bout against Pacquiao. What Marquez needed in this fight was rounds to get the rust out and he got none of that. This was basically a wasted fight for Marquez. If his goal was to use it to get ready for Pacquiao then it was an utter failure. He needs to pick out someone with a good chin an a willingness to take some shots if he wants to get ready for Pacquiao.
Fighting mismatches against guys without a prayer isn’t a good warmup for a bout against Pacquiao. In hindsight, Marquez needed to fight someone a lot better than Ramos if he wanted to get anything out of the fight other than a payday.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Marquez: Canelo should fight Beterbiev or Bivol
- Bernard Hopkins, Juan M Marquez, Shane Mosley Elected To Boxing Hall Of Fame!
- Canelo has the style to defeat Golovkin says Marquez
- Can Rey Vargas fill the void left by Marquez?
- Boxing History: Charley Burley
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight