Cotto to fight on 12/3 at Madison Square Garden, and possibly Pacquiao in 2012
By Dan Ambrose: WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (36-2, 29 KO’s) will be taking a little bit of a longer break in between fights compared to what he usually does, as he reportedly won’t be back in the ring until December 3rd in a fight at the Madison Square Garden.
Cotto and his promoter Bob Arum would like for him to be matched against Antonio Margarito in a rematch, but that fight likely won’t be able to happen until 2012 because of the slowly healing eye injury that Margarito sustained in his beating against Manny Pacquiao last year. There is technically a chance that Margarito may be able to fight Cotto in December, but don’t count on it. Cotto is saying he wants to fight the other junior middleweight champions.
Other than Saul Alvarez, there isn’t a lot to choose from. Presumably, Alvarez is what Cotto has in mind but that’s a fight that would make it necessary for Arum to make a deal with Golden Boy Promotions, as they are the promoters for Alvarez.
According to Michael Markey at examiner.com, Arum is hoping to match Cotto and Pacquiao back up for a rematch in 2012. That’s not exactly an appealing fight if you remember how badly Cotto was beaten in a one-sided 12th round knockout loss in 2009. Hopefully, Arum doesn’t make that fight again because it would be another mismatch involving Pacquiao and we just saw him make a fight against 39-year-old Shane Mosley that turned out to be a horrible mismatch. Putting Cotto back in with Pacquiao would be about the same thing. As bad as Cotto was beaten by Pacquiao it will be too soon if they never fight again. Who in their right mind would want to pay to see a Cotto-Pacquiao II fight when the first fight was ridiculously one-sided?
More Boxing News:
- Keith Thurman: Spence is going to have to see me at 147 or leave the division
- Jose Ramirez: Mikey Garcia hits harder than Manny Pacquiao
- Mikey Garcia: ‘Manny Pacquiao WANTS a fight with me’
- Mikey Garcia has Manny Pacquiao at top of his list for his next opponent
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Andy Ruiz Jr using low impact pool workouts to get in shape
- Redkach wants Adrien Broner on Tank vs. Santa Cruz undercard
- Jeff Horn vs. Tim Tszyu on August 26 in Townsville, Australia
- Tank Davis to stream sparring session with Ivan Redkach on Monday
- Alexander Povetkin ready for Dillian Whyte