Roach: I think Mosley needs to retire
By Jason Kim: 39-year-old Shane Mosley (46-7-1, 39 KO’s) put in his third consecutive poor performance last night, losing by dismal lopsided 12 round unanimous decision to Manny Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38 KO’s) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. Mosley looked gun-shy throughout the fight, throwing few punches and mostly just trying to avoid Pacquiao and clinch with him. As such, Mosley ended up losing by the scores of 119-108, 120-108, and 120-107.
Freddie Roach, the trainer for Pacquiao, said after the fight that it may be time for Mosley to hang up the gloves and retire. Roach correctly pointed out that Mosley looked to be there just to survive and not to try and win the fight.
Roach said this at sport.stv.tv: “I don’t think he [Mosley] tried to win this fight. I think he just tried to survive and when you get to that point in boxing, it’s time to call it a day.”
Mosley seemed to lose any fight he had in him after getting hurt in the 3rd and knocked down by Pacquiao. After the knockdown, Mosley rarely did much and just seemed to be more intent on dodging and ducking Pacquiao’s shots. To that end, Mosley did a great job, because he had Pacquiao missing often and hitting air. The only thing that Mosley needed was to let go of some of his own shots and there would have been a fight. Unfortunately, Mosley looked as shot and timid as he did in his loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. and his 12 round draw with Sergio Mora last year. There was no change at all from those fights, which is why you have to wonder why Mosley was selected by Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum for this fight. Arum had to know what he was getting by choosing Mosley, because he displayed the same lack of ability in both of his last two fights before last night’s fight. It may have been better for Arum to have selected someone that could actually still fight rather than choosing a fighter on his way to the scrap heap.
More Boxing News:
- Mikey Garcia: ‘Manny Pacquiao WANTS a fight with me’
- Mikey Garcia has Manny Pacquiao at top of his list for his next opponent
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Golovkin will HURT Pacquiao says trainer Abel Sanchez
- Robert Guerrero wants Pacquiao and Thurman fights
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback
- Chris Eubank Jr: I’m looking to DESTROY Canelo
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Eubank Jr gives his theory on WHY Saunders didn’t take Canelo Alvarez fight