Khan could end up facing Judah next instead of Bradley
By Sean McDaniel: WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (25-1, 17 KO’s) would like to face WBC/WBO light welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (27-0, 11 KO’s) on July 23rd to try and unify the titles before making a big decision about possibly moving up in weight to chase after big fights against the likes of Floyd Mayweather Jr. and other big stars at that weight class.
But before Khan can do that he’s made up his mind that he wants to prove himself at light welterweight by capturing all or most of the titles in this weight class before moving up. Unfortunately, Khan may not be getting the help he needs to make that happen because Bradley is reportedly less than enthused at fighting Khan for the money that was offered to him and is looking at taking a fight against someone else for less money in his next fight.
Khan’s only move will be to go after IBF light welterweight champion Zab Judah 41-6, 28 KO’s) next if Judah doesn’t wind up facing Juan Manuel Marquez next. The chances of that happening aren’t very high because Top Rank promotions recently made an offer to Marquez for a bout against Manny Pacquiao, and Marquez would have to be a serious risk taker by ignoring that fight and taking on Judah first before trying to get the Pacquiao fight – if it’s still there – in the future. If Marquez isn’t available, then Khan is easily the best option that the 33-year-old Judah has at light welterweight. Khan would give Judah a good payday and at the same time a chance of winning the fight if Judah can land one of his big uppercuts on Khan’s fragile chin.
For Khan and his promoters Golden Boy to get Bradley they are going to have to offer him big money to take the fight. He’s not going to take money that’s not a significant boost up from what he’s been making in fights against lesser known opponents in a fight against Khan because he knows that a Khan fight should be a huge payday, not a little one.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan: ‘I can fight Errol Spence if I want’
- Khan says Canelo Alvarez’s gloves have little padding in knuckle area
- Khan picks Terence Crawford to beat Errol Spence
- Amir Khan to fight in summertime
- Tim Bradley prediction: Deontay Wilder STOPS Tyson Fury
- Teofimo Lopez just wants to BEAT up Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Jaime Munguia in no rush to fight Canelo and GGG
- Daniel Dubois vs. Joe Joyce – NOT behind closed doors: Warren gives update
- Whyte says Andy Ruiz Jr. is a FAT coward for not accepting offer
- Danny Garcia the WBC mandatory to Errol Spence