Warren says Chisora will be fighting Klitschko next year
By Dan Ambrose: It looks like IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (55-3, 49 KO’s) will still be fighting Dereck Chisora (14-0, 9 KO’s) after all. Klitschko pulled out of his scheduled fight with Chisora this Saturday night complaining of a bad abdominal tear that will require at least six weeks to heal. Since then, there’s been a lot of talk about Wladimir bypassing the Chisora fight and moving on to a big money unification bout against World Boxing Association (WBA) heavyweight champion David Haye (25-1, 23 KO’s) next after Wladimir’s injury heals.
However, Frank Warren, the promoter for Chisora, had this to say in an interview at Sky Sports News: “I’ve read a lot of stuff over what’s been said regarding Dereck’s fight with Klitschko, but the fact is the contract states they’ve [the Klitschko team] got 30 days to give us a new date, and the [fight] should take place within 180 days of the postponement. That’s what we’re waiting for the Klitschkos to inform us. That fight will take place next year.”
Well, there it is. Klitschko will be facing Chisora within the next six months or so. Whether Wladimir will try and squeeze in a fight with Haye is unclear, but it’s hard to imagine he would have time to fight Haye and then be ready for a fight with Chisora all within 180 days. That’s probably not realistic. Wladimir could take on a lesser fighter and likely destroy that fighter in a few rounds in a hurry without a lot of promotion and training, but Haye is a different story. It may be that Chisora is going to be the one that Wladimir faces next.
Wladimir said “Next year we are going to have the fight. There are a lot of fights and names coming up, one of them is Dereck Chisora, David Haye is around the corner as well. It’s fantastic for British fans that Chisora has been created. he’s right there.”
In saying that Chisora was “created,” you have to wonder if Wladimir means that he’s made Chisora suddenly well known by all the media hype around their canceled fight.
More Boxing News:
- Oleksandr Usyk vs. Dereck Chisora on DAZN & Sky Box Office Pay-Per-View on Oct.31
- Usyk vs. Chisora Confirmed For October 31!
- Chisora responds to Usyk while taking body shots from David Haye
- Oleksandr Usyk: “Dereck Chisora, I’m coming for you”
- Eddie Hearn close to getting Usyk vs. Chisora done for October 31st
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet