Why do Pacquiao fans think Pacquiao-Margarito was an exciting fight?
By Dave Lahr: If you read comments or listen to fans of Manny Pacquiao you’ll notice that almost every one of them think his fight with the slow as molasses Antonio Margarito was a “good fight.” They think it was a competitive bout and thrilling to watch. I don’t know about you, but I don’t think it was. From what I saw of the fight, it looked like a terrible mismatch from the 1st round until the last. I fail to see where it was competitive, except perhaps one round when Margarito landed a body shot that had Pacquiao looking uncomfortable for a brief moment.
If that’s what Pacquiao fans consider a competitive fight, I just don’t know what to think of them. Margarito didn’t belong in the same ring with him in that fight. I think this was a hand picked opponent for Pacquiao to beat and look good against. Margarito had been beaten up last year by Shane Mosley, and hadn’t done a thing to prove that he wasn’t the same fighter that lost that fight. Why was this guy chosen for Pacquiao under those circumstances. And how was Pacquiao-Margarito a great fight.
It looked boring and one-sided to me, unless you think it’s fun to watch someone get beaten up in a one-sided fight. This was not a great fight, because it wasn’t competitive. It was a fighter with no boxing skills and zero movement brought in for Pacquiao to go after his 8th world title. Margarito wasn’t a junior middleweight until recently when he was put in with fringe contender Roberto Garcia to get ranked, yet he was chosen to fight Pacquiao rather than a better fighter that would have a chance to beat Pacquiao.
More Boxing News:
- Thurman still mentally struggling from his loss to Pacquiao
- Thurman wants Pacquiao, Crawford, Brook, Porter & Mikey Garcia
- Shawn Porter: I’m confident I’ll beat Manny Pacquiao
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Charlo vs. Derevyanchenko and Jermell vs Rosario preview & prediction
- Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong this Saturday on Sept.26
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko training camp quotes for Saturday against Jermall Charlo
- Kell Brook: I can hurt Terence Crawford 100%
- Lomachenko: I’m going to cause Teofimo pain