Schaefer makes offer to Khan and Maidana for December 11th bout
By Eric Thomas: According to the latest boxing news, Dan Rafael is reporting that Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has made an offer to light welterweights Amir Khan and Marcos Maidana for their proposed December 11th fight. Khan, the WBA light welterweight champion, still hasn’t said whether he’ll be accepting the offer from Schaefer. And Maidana is asking for a purse bid for the fight from the WBA. Khan hasn’t decided yet whether he wants the fight to take place in the UK or the United States.
It would make more sense for the fight to take place in the U.S. if Khan wants to become a star there, but he’ll likely make more money in the UK. With the danger that Maidana brings in the ring with him due to his big power, Khan might want to try and get every last penny he can get for this fight just in case he gets’ knocked out again and his paydays start getting smaller after this fight.
Khan is facing his first real puncher since he was flattened in the 1st round by Breidis Prescott in 2008. Since that loss, Khan has been selectively matched and not had to face any fighters with power. Khan will be going from one of the weakest punchers in the division with Paulie Malignaggi, who Khan stopped in the 11th round in his last fight in May, to one of the hardest punchers in the division in 27-year-old Maidana.
This is going to be a huge jump for Khan to be taking, because he already failed once badly when he took on Prescott, and Maidana is even bigger and hits harder with every punch compared to Prescott. Maidana thinks that Khan is trying to get out from having to fight him. He thinks that Khan will vacate his WBA title if the World Boxing Association forces him to fight Maidana.
More Boxing News:
- Marcos Maidana looking solid in training for comeback
- Amir Khan with NO interest in fighting without fans present
- Khan wants Mayweather and Pacquiao before retiring
- Amir Khan: ‘Kell Brook needs me more than I need him’
- Amir Khan wants Manny Pacquiao fight in Qatar
- Dana White says Dillian Whyte vs. Francis Ngannou epress conference NOT happening
- Spence vs. Garcia, Tank Davis vs. Santa Cruz & Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2 planned for U.S boxing return
- Ryan Garcia: Teofimo Lopez is desperate as they come
- Tyson Fury ahead of Anthony Joshua in Forbes’ highest paid athletes list
- Ivan Baranchyk vs. Jose Zepeda on July 7 on ESPN in Las Vegas