Haye KO’s the doubters
By Shaun Campbell: David Haye knocked John Ruiz’s game plan out the window within the first minute of their bout last night. Ruiz was walking into stiff jabs from Haye, and then a combination landed with speed that most middleweights would be proud of. Those in MEN Arena rose to their feet as it looked like the fight was all but over. But credit must be given to the durable, tough, and ever so brave John Ruiz.
It was revealed after in an interview that Haye had not been able to spar for 4 weeks in the build up to the fight. Trainer Adam Booth was content with Haye’s performance, but admitted there was room for improvement. However, Haye and his team are perfectionists. They will only settle for the best.
That performance was a step up from the “all-guns blazing” fight against Monte Barrett in his 2nd fight at heavyweight. Haye tempted Ruiz in with sharpe jabs and then landed the bombs. The Klitchko’s are confident champions, but even they will have seen things that may have made them feel a little uneasy. Haye’s speed was unquestionable.
There seems to be no further areas for doubters to criticise. Although there are still questions, Haye’s performance was almost faultless. There will still be people saying he is not a true champion, but these people are not boxing fans. They are just people who enjoy the sound of their own voice and need to feel important by having ago at someone else. David Haye is a breath of fresh air in the heavyweight division, and it is now time the Klitchko brothers take on a real challenge in Haye. Whether Haye wins or not is debatable, but the idea that the fight should happen is universally accepted.
More Boxing News:
- Oleksandr Usyk vs. Dereck Chisora targeted for October
- David Haye Not happy with Joe Joyce’s performance against Michael Wallisch
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- David Haye discusses coming out of retirement for Joshua vs. Fury winner
- David Haye: WBC can give Dillian Whyte a Gold or Platinum title
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism