Chisora-Skelton to join huge bill at Wembley Arena on 13th February – News
By Peter Wells: With Danny Williams-Sam Sexton set for 13th February 2010 at Wembley Arena – which Danny has said will be his last fight – Derek Chisora who was already announced to be on the bill will now fight former European Heavyweight boxing champion Matt Skelton. It is to be an eliminator for the British Heavyweight title. This is a big fight for Derek Chisora whom has already stopped Sam Sexton who will be the heavy favourite going into his British title shot, so a rematch would be a big chance for Derek to prove it wasn’t a fluke and is up their with the best.
Skelton is 22-4 but with 19 knockouts and can really bang, but stamina showed a big problem against Martin Rogan when defending his Commonwealth title. Skelton’s first defeat was in his second defence of to Danny Williams by Split decision after just stopping John McDermott in the first round. In the same year he came back to defeat Williams by unanimous decision for the Commonwealth title. He then defended his title against Michael Sprott whom was coming off a third round stoppage of Audley Harrison. Then he got a magical shot at WBA Heavyweight champion, Ruslan Chagaev, but well short on points.
Matt wasn’t fazed and came back to win the European title off tough Italian Paolo Vidoz in a stormer which saw Vidoz retire on his stool after 9 rounds. Then he took on Martin Rogan, and in another cracker was cut over his left eye before being dramatically stopped in the 11th round. Unfortunately everything went to pot in his first defence of his European title being stopped in 8 by Francesco Pianeta.
Now coming off two hard defeats Matt is fighting for his career in this fight, and a bad defeat here could see the end of it. Luckily for him Derek isn’t that strong but stopped tough Sam Sexton last year and would love to do the same to Skelton.
Also added to the bill is Kevin Mitchell who will defend his WBO Inter-Continental Lightweight title, nobody has been called up yet, but this should be set up for a great night of British boxing.
- Derek Chisora trashes Joyce vs. Takam stoppage, wants Parker rematch next
- Chisora refuses to retire after loss to Parker
- Chisora Loses to Parker, While Taylor and Bivol Win in UK Saturday!
- Boxing Results: Joseph Parker defeats Dereck Chisora by 12-round split decision
- Amir Khan predicts Pacquiao vs. Spence & Crawford vs. Porter
- Joseph Diaz Jr: ‘I want Ryan Garcia or Haney next, whoever accepts’
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Dmitry Bivol at catchweight between 168 and 175
- Leonard Ellerbe questions Canelo Alvarez’s level of opposition, wants him to fight Benavidez, Charlo & Plant