Should Miguel Cotto fight Antonio Margarito again?
By Jorge Lugo: In a recent interview done by Sergio Diaz, the boxing manager of Antonio Margarito, he says “I know Cotto has said he wouldn’t let Margarito make another penny off him, but if we give him [Cotto] a lot more pennies I think he will take the fight,” according to the Los Angeles Times.
Last year at this time, people were still talking about the graphic and brutal defeat Cotto suffered by the hands of Margarito. In what was a fight that Cotto was clearly winning before the 11th round stoppage, Margarito dominated Cotto physically in the 11th, forcing Cotto to twice take a knee. Now as far as whether or not Margarito cheated in the Cotto fight, only Margarito and his trainer would know.
But seeing as this is the end of 2009 and being that this year has truly showed boxing fans to never say never in the sport – Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Cotto vs. Pacquiao, Pacquiao dominating Ricky Hatton, Roy Jones Jr. vs. Bernard Hopkins in 2010, Mosley calling out Mayweather in the ring.
So should Cotto fight Margarito again? Regardless if Margarito cheated or not, I am sure this time Cotto’s team will check Margarito’s hand wraps and observe everything he does. But if Margarito agrees to Cotto’s terms, should they fight again? In my opinion, if Cotto gets past Pacquiao, which many boxing fans are saying will happen, and then Cotto should definitely take the rematch with Margarito in a winner take all fight. If Cotto beats Margarito, then Miguel’s first loss should be taken off record.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing’s Greatest Grudge Matches tonight on ESPNEWS
- Super welterweight division still up for grabs
- Antonio Margarito: The “Loaded” Gloves and His Rivalry with Miguel Cotto on Dec 23 on Telemundo
- Sam Eggington hoping for Antonio Margarito fight in States
- Promoting more challenging than fighting for Miguel Cotto
- Dillian Whyte previews Alexander Povetkin clash
- Eddie Hearn hoping to reach deal on Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell this week
- Wladimir Klitschko coming back? promoter Tom Loeffler wants him to
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez not looking good for Oct.3
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles