Boxing News - Latest Headlines

Fury Wants Fight With Sexton; Arce-Darchinyan, Cunningham – News

fury4635643Unbeaten heavyweight phenomenon Tyson Fury has already set his sights on the man he hopes will be his next opponent. The 6 feet 8 ½ inch 20 year old is scheduled for his third pro fight in Norwich on February 28th when he appears on the undercard of local hero, Jon Thaxton’s first defence of his European Lightweight title.

However it’s another Norfolk man that is occupying Fury’s thoughts at the moment. “I’d love to fight Sam Sexton in Norwich,” said Fury. “He’s a local lad and I believe he’s always complaining that he never gets to fight at home, so I’d love to give him that opportunity.”

Fury is coming off an impressive stoppage win over Marcel Zeller earlier this month. The German entered the ring having won 21 of his 24 pro fights with 20 of those wins coming by KO but he found Fury too hot to handle.

Sexton also has a decent resume having lost just once in his 12 pro fights and he also won the Prizefighter tournament last September but Fury isn’t impressed. “His record isn’t as impressive as Zeller’s so it might be a bit of step down but it would still be a good fight for the people of Norwich. He just won the Southern Area title and I think that’s about his limit.

“If I can’t beat the likes of Sexton I’ve no business talking about World titles so that’s why I want to fight him now. I don’t want people saying that I’m just all talk like some of the other prospects out there. I want to walk the walk as well.”

Promoter Mick Hennessy is hoping that Sexton will take up the challenge “It’s a great chance for Sam to fight in his hometown in a significant fight so hopefully he will step up to the plate.”

Tickets for Tyson next fight on the undercard of Jon Thaxton’s European Title Defence at the Norfolk Showground, Norwich on the 28th February are available from the Ticketline box office on 0871 424 4444 or via www.ticketline.co.uk.

Darchinyan Ready to Ice Arce Like a Margarito

World Super Flyweight Champion VIC “Raging Bull” DARCHINYAN is hoping his opponent World Boxing Association (WBA) interim super flyweight champion JORGE “Travieso” ARCE watched Saturday’s Antonio Margarito-Sugar Shane Mosley WBA welterweight title fight at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.

“If Arce watched the fight, then he knows his future, which will come to pass when we meet on February 7,” said Darchinyan from his Las Vegas-based training camp. “If I were Arce’s team, I’d MapQuest the quickest routes from the Honda Center to John Wayne Airport so he can get out of town fast. Unlike Mosley I am not waiting until the ninth round for the knockout. I am going to stop Farce quickly so he can take his black eyes on the red-eye out that same night. Whether Mexico allows him back in, well that is another issue.

“I was looking forward to facing him last Saturday at our press conference in Los Angeles, but he did not show. As my promoter Gary Shaw said, they decided to serve “Chicken a la Arce” two weeks early. What a shock. Mexicans are great fighters. Arce is a disgrace to all of them. He is a clown. He should change his ring name from ‘Travieso’ to ‘Travesty’ because that’s what he is. I promise that I will demolish him just like I demolished Mijares. I will let him be a coward for the first two rounds where he can run around the ring. He can even wear his stupid cowboy hat. But after that, I am going to be on him like a mongoose on a cobra. He does not stand a chance. Interim Champion is the perfect description of his so-called title reign.”

Promoted by Gary Shaw Productions and Top Rank, the February 7 world championship doubleheader at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif, will also feature the North American Boxing Organization lightweight championship battle between top contenders ANTONIO DeMARCO and ALMAZBEK “Kid Diamond” RAIYMKULOV.

Remaining tickets, priced at $250, $125, $90, $60, $45 and $35, can be purchased through Ticketmaster (all Ticketmaster outlets), by phone, 714-740-2000, online at www.ticketmaster.com and at the Honda Center box office.

Darchinyan (31-1-1, 25 KOs), of Sydney, Australia by way of Armenia, and Arce (51-4-1, 39 KOs), from Los Mochis, Mexico, will settle their bitter hostilities toward each other, once and for all, in a fight to the finish. Their battle will be televised live nationally on SHOWTIME Championship Boxing, beginning at 9 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast.) The broadcast will open with DeMarco (19-1-1, 13 KOs), of Tijuana, Mexico, risking his three-year, 13-bout unbeaten streak and Top-10 rating in a career-defining fight against the battle-tested Raiymkulov (27-1-1, 15 KOs), from Las Vegas, Nev., by way of Kyrgyzstan, who is enjoying his own two-year winning streak. These four gladiators boast a combined record of 128-7-4 (92 KOs) – a winning percentage of 92% and a victory by knockout ratio of 72%.

‘USS’ Cunningham Hopes Scuppered As Maccarinelli Chooses Ramirez For WBO
Title Fight.

Steve ‘USS’ Cunningham’s hopes of facing Enzo Maccarinelli in Manchester, England on the 14th March were dashed when promoter, Frank Warren, wrote in his weekly column in the British newspaper, The Sun, that Maccarinelli will now face interim-champion, Victor Ramirez, for the vacant WBO title.

On being told the news ‘USS’ Cunningham, the former IBF cruiserweight champion who recently lost his title to Thomas ‘Goral’ Adamek in one of the greatest fights of 2008, said: “Man, I thought this would be a great
time to fight Enzo. We tried to put that fight together last summer, but it never happened. I’m ready to dust of my passport, but that’ll have to wait for now.

Oh man, It’s a shame. I think it would have been a seriously great fight and I’ve wanted to fight in Britain for a long time. Shoot, I don’t have any luck getting it on with British fighters. Haye moved to the heavyweights last year and now this chance to face Enzo is shot. You know, one day I will get to fight in Britain or face Enzo. I’m sure it’ll happen.

I wish Enzo and Victor Ramirez the best. I’m sure it’ll be a great fight. I didn’t get to see Victor beat Alexander Alexeev, but heard it was a good fight. I’m sure it’ll be a banger, they’re both heavy hitters.”

Hopefully it will not be too long before Steve ‘USS’ Cunningham finds his next opponent so that boxing fans will get the chance to watch one of the world’s most exciting boxers in action again.

www.usscunningham.com

Haughian confident despite “Pazmanian Devil” backing for Walsh

Billy Walsh and Stephen Haughian will finally get it on for the Irish Welterweight title at the Craigavon Leisure Centre on February 7th. Haughian has been eyeing a crack at the undefeated Corkman’s title ever since he won it 12 months ago and now he’s got his wish.

“To be fighting so close to home is a dream come true and to fight for the Irish title is the icing on the cake,” said the Lurgan man. Haughian’s only up close and personal look at Walsh came when he appeared on the Leesider’s undercard in Cork two years ago and he says he saw enough night to know he can win.

“He’s the kind of guy that just comes out swinging,” said Haughian. “He doesn’t take a backward step so it should be a good fight. He’s a decent right hand and a good left hook and I’m sure he’ll start fast but I’m confident and my preparations couldn’t have gone any better so I’ll be ready for whatever he brings.”

Walsh is also quietly confident ahead of the first defence of his title and former two weight World Champ Vinny Pazienza has already made it known that he’s a fan of the Cork man.

Pazienza, who was known as the “Pazmanian Devil” during his fighting days is familiar with Walsh from his time in the U.S. The Rhode Island native enjoyed a glorious career that included an amazing comeback from a broken neck suffered in a car accident.

Since retiring in 2004 Pazienza has concentrated on TV work and he likes what he’s seen of Walsh. “I like Billy, he’s just a naturally tough guy who comes out banging. He’s got some boxing skills but he’s a tough SOB to go with it.

“He looks really good, has tons of ability and has a lot of amateur experience too. He’s known as ‘Billy Boy’ but I think they should change his nickname to ‘Hammerin’ Billy Walsh because he throws tons of punches and is heavy handed.”

One welterweight who won’t be on the card is Neil Sinclair. The Belfast puncher has suffered a recurrence of a niggling back injury that also caused him some problems last year and has been forced to withdraw from the Craigavon card.

Two weight Irish champ, Andy Murray from Cavan heads the undercard as he looks to stretch his unbeaten professional run to 14 straight fights

Belfast’s Kevin “Sweet Pea” O’Hara is also in action along with unbeaten light welterweight Michael Kelly and popular Omagh prospect, Damian Taggart.

Tickets priced £30, £40 and £60 are available from:

Stephen Haughian 07595672699
Maurice Haughian 07733413516
Woodville Arms 02838324005
Ashburn Hotel 02838325711
John Breen 07802898054
Breens Gym (above Monico Bar, Belfast) 02890278708
Neil Sinclair 07707971854
Damian Taggart 07746527958
Michael Kelly 0877618356
Coley Traynor 07779594007
Best Rate Bureau 02830252595




Related Boxing News:
Subscribe (Free!)
Search

Boxing News FB Boxing News Twitter Boxing News INstagram Boxing News 24 Youtuber Mail

Privacy Statement l TOS & Cookies Policy l Back To Top l Contact Us