February 20, 2023 l 10 comments
Former three-time world champion Guillermo Rigondeaux, with a professional record of 20-3-1 (13 KOs), will return to the ring for the first time in almost one year when he takes on veteran Jesus Martinez in the 10-round bantamweight main event at Hialeah Park on Friday, February 24, 2023.
Photo by Damon Gonzalez / Latinbox Sports – Weights for Friday night’s fight card at Hialeah, Park:
Guillermo Rigondeaux 118.8 – Jesus Martinez 119.6
Ariel Perez De La Torre 122.2 – Yonfrez Parejo 123
Francisco Rodriguez 144.8 – Brodyx Gilman 149.8
Damian Lescaille 153.4 – Lucas McDonald 154.8
Yanki Urrutia 160.8 – Luis Eduardo Florez 161.6
Rigondeaux, whose last bout was a unanimous decision defeat at the hands of Vincent Astrolabio on February 26, 2022 in Dubai, has been sidelined since suffering severe facial burns and eye injuries in a freak kitchen accident at his home in Miami nine months ago.
Now 42 years of age, the former WBO/WBA Super Bantamweight and WBA Bantamweight world champion will attempt to tap the fountain of youth in his 25th professional fight as he looks to win for the first time since defeating Liborio Solis in February of 2020.
WHEN IS THE RIGONDEAUX VS. MARTINEZ FIGHT? DATE, START TIME
- Date: Friday, February 24
- Main card: 6 p.m. ET / 11 p.m. GMT
- Rigondeaux vs. Martinez (approx): 10 p.m. GMT / 3 a.m. ET
- The fight will take place at the Hialeah Park Racing & Casino, Florida.
- Broadcast details are yet to be confirmed for the event.
- The main card is set to get underway at 6 p.m. ET / 11 p.m. GMT with the Rigondeaux vs. Martinez ringwalks scheduled for 10 p.m. GMT / 3 a.m. ET
Martinez of Miami via Colombia, has a record of 33-17-1 with 16 knockouts. Martinez has defeated Jonathan Burgos (9-2-1), Miguel Martinez (20-2), Angel Berrio (14-2). Martinez has also shared the ring with former world champions Luis Nery and TJ Doheny as well as top prospects Gary Antonio Russell, Dominique Crowder and Antonio Vargas. Martinez is on a two-fight winning streak.
In Eight-Round Bouts:
Ariel Perez De La Torre (9-1, 7 KOs of Mexico vis Cuba takes on Yonfrez Parejo (24-5-1, 12 KOs) in a super bantamweight clash.
Hugo Noriega (5-0, 3 KOs) of Cuba takes on Carlos Mohammed Rodriguez (15-10-1, 6 KOs) of Mexico in a welterweight fight.
Yoaki Urrutia (9-0, 6 KOs) of Cuba battles Luis Eduardo Florez (26-25, 21 KOs) of Colombia in a middleweight tussle.
In Six-Round Bouts:
Damian Lescaille (2-0, 1 KO) of Cuba fights Lucas McDonald (1-10, 1KO) of Belville, Texas in a welterweight bout.
Carlos Fromenta (9-1, 5 KOs) of Cuba will take on Armando Reeves (3-10-2) of Jefferson City, MO in a cruiserweight fight.
In Four-Round Bouts:
Jose Brayan Fonteboa of Hialeah, Florida will make his pro debut against Ashton Royal (1-4, 1 KO) of Texas in a super lightweight affair.
Adlay Rodriguez (2-0, 2 KOs) of Cuba fights Ryan Schwartzberg (1-9-2, 1 KO) of Dania, Florida in a super lightweight bout.
Gustavo Trujillo (1-0, 1 KO) of Cuba will take on Jawaski Bethly (0-1 of Louisiana in a heavyweight bout.
RIGONDEAUX VS. MARTINEZ FIGHT CARD
- Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Jesus Martinez; Bantamweight
- Ariel Perez De La Torre vs. Yonfrez Parejo; Junior featherweights
- Hugo Noriega vs. Carlos Mohamed Rodriguez; Welterweights
- Yoanki Urrutia vs. Luis Eduardo Florez; Middleweights
- Carlos Fromenta vs. Antonio Brown; Cruiserweights
- Jose Brayan Fonteboa vs. Ashton Royal; Welterweights
- Adlay Rodriguez vs. Ryan Schwartzberg; Welterweights
- Gustavo Trujillo vs. Jawaski Bethly; Heavyweights
- Damian Lescaille vs. Kynndale Prather; Junior middleweights
- Benavidez Vs. Plant: Fight Card, Start Time, Streaming & TV
- Ramirez vs. Commey: Fight Card, Start Time, Streaming & TV
- Okolie vs Light: Fight Card, Start Time, Streaming & TV
Read: What Will Be The Next Unification Match in 2023?
NEXT: What time is the Gallegos vs Vansiclen fight tonight?
More Boxing News:
- Canelo put on notice by Benavidez, he’ll force fight after Plant bout
- David Benavidez on Caleb Plant: “I’m going to break him down”
- Fury vs. Usyk is definitely off, Dubois negotiations to begin this weekend
- Eddie Hearn wants Joshua-Fury next if Fury vs. Usyk doesn’t happen
- Joshua vs. Franklin ticket update: “We’ve sold 15,000” – Eddie Hearn