Conor Benn fires back at haters taking aim at him
By Barry Holbrook: Conor Benn took to Twitter today to fire back at the haters that have been dumping on him since the news broke of the WBC ruling that his two positive tests from clomifene could have been a result of his egg ingestion.
The talented 26-year-old welterweight contender Benn (21-0, 14 KOs) posted a photo of him flipping the bird at his critics, saying, “No lies told.”
In essence, the response from Eddie Hearn-promoted Benn is him letting his many haters know that he won’t be cowed by them, and he will keep moving forward until he’s back in the game. Benn won’t let them beat him down.
Some would argue that the critics are jealous of Benn for his fame, wealth, and talent and want to ruin him so they can sleep well at night.
Benn will fight soon
Fans have been hopping mad, going after Benn since it was revealed late last year of his two positive tests for clomifene. He had been on the doorstep of a lucrative fight against middleweight contender Chris Eubank Jr on October 8th, which would have been pay-per-view.
— Conor Nigel Benn (@ConorNigel) February 23, 2023
The fight would have made Benn a VERY rich man and set him up for bigger fights against the top dogs at 147, be it Errol Spence Jr or Terence Crawford.
Benn hasn’t fought since his brutal second round knockout of former welterweight contender Chris Van Heerden on April 11th last year. Conor, the son of British boxing legend Nigel Benn, has now been out of the ring for 11 months, and he’s ready to resume his career.
In an interview yesterday, Hearn said they prefer Benn be given a license by BBBofC to fight in the UK, but he’s definitely going to fight soon.
If the British Boxing Board of Control doesn’t license Benn, he’ll get licensed elsewhere and apply to fight in the UK as Tyson Fury does, says Hearn. Benn’s next fight will probably be outside of the UK, unfortunately.
Conor Benn’s opponent
Benn could face Manny Pacquiao, Kell Brook, or Adrien Broner in his next fight back. The 44-year-old Pacquiao is the most likely of the three and unquestionably the biggest payday.
“The WBC is putting Conor Benn back into their rankings. What they’re saying is they’re accepting the 270-page report that went from his legal team to the WBC last December,” said Gareth A. Davies to talkSPORT Boxing.
“They are accepting the contamination in the two failed tests or clomifene can potentially come from eggs, an overabundance in eggs. They’ve accepted that explanation.
“What they haven’t said is he is not responsible for having clomifene being in his body. They haven’t exonerated him on that fact. What they have said is we’ve excepted your explanation as explained.”
- Conor Benn wants Keith Thurman: “Let’s make the fight”
- Eubank Jr likely to be denied permission by BBBofC to fight Benn in UAE
- Conor Benn vs. Chris Eubank Jr close for June 3 in Abu Dhabi
- Kell Brook starts training camp: Is Conor Benn next?