Tyson Fury vs. Anthony Joshua talks on hold until next week
By Barry Holbrook: Promoter Frank Warren is reportedly putting talks between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua on hold due to the passing of Queen Elizabeth II. The talks will restart next week.
It’s unclear what happened with Fury’s deadline last week that he set for Joshua (24-3, 22 KOs) to agree to November 26th or December 3rd dates, as well as the 60-40 split and the 50-50 for the rematch clause, should AJ win.
It wouldn’t be surprising if Fury (32-0-1, 23 KOs) were just trolling Joshua and the public with the deadline.
Obviously, with the way Fury has been relentlessly pushing for the Joshua fight in a desperate manner, it was hard to take his deadline talk seriously. Fury needs this fight more than Joshua.
“Anthony and Tyson do what to fight each other at some point before their careers are finished. They’ve always have done, and they always will. The British public and British fight fans deserve that fight to happen,” said Adam Smith to Boxing UK on the Tyson Fury vs. Anthony Joshua fight.
Frank Warren has explained that they've put Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua talks on hold following the passing of Queen Elizabeth II and will resume in the next week: "Tyson and I, we just don't feel it's appropriate at the moment out of respect for the Royal Family." [@talkSPORT]
— Michael Benson (@MichaelBensonn) September 11, 2022
“Everyone was talking about the UK fight after this. Boxing is a strange business. It was a really good way how Tyson came out. Not in a bombastic way. In a way, he was quite sensible and calm. Now he says it’s 60-40.
“It’s down to 258; it’s down to Eddie [Hearn], George and Frank. It’s a fight that I would love to come to. If there’s a message for Eddie and for Frank and for Bob and for George. Make it happen in December because I would love to come and see Joshua and Tyson Fury go to battle.
“Whether 258 wants to take that now, whether they have different plans for AJ. Obviously, there are DAZN and BT difficulties. There’s the money and endless amounts of red tape. I think if you put Anthony and Tyson in a room, maybe you’ll come out with a fight. I hope so. I can’t guarantee it.
“Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao should have fought five years before. They should have had a trilogy by the time they fought. When they did fight, it was very disappointing.
“It was a great build-up and wonderful to have them in the ring, but as it worked out, it was a dull fight. I’m really sad that they didn’t have three of them, and it’s a shame when they don’t get made,” said Smith.
- Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk signed! Undisputed fight in Saudi Arabia
- Fury vs Usyk IS OFFICIAL!
- Anthony Joshua vs. Deontay Wilder not happening in January
- WBC president says Tyson Fury’s mandatory won’t be ordered yet