Otto Wallin: ‘Dillian Whyte is slowing down, he’s basic’
By Scott Gilfoid: Otto Wallin says he’s seeing a lot of wear & tear on WBC interim heavyweight champion Dillian ‘The Body Snatcher’ Whyte ahead of their October 30th, and he’s going to take advantage of that. Whyte vs. Wallin will be shown on DAZN.
The big 6’6″ southpaw Otto states that he will give the aging Whyte a “boxing lesson” that he won’t soon forget and rip away his WBC interim heavyweight strap.
Doubtless, that would be a bitter pill for Whyte to swallow after all the bellyaching he’s done for the last three years over him being shut out and ignored by former WBC champion Deontay Wilder and now Tyson Fury.
Wallin (22-1, 14 KOs) wants to beat Whyte (28-2, 19 KOs) and capture his WBC mandatory spot to challenge champion Tyson Fury for his title in a rematch in early 2022.
The World Boxing Council has already determined that the WBC heavyweight champion [Fury] must fight the mandatory unless he’s facing IBF/WBA/WBO champion Oleksandr Usyk for the undisputed championship.
Wallin: Whyte is getting older
“I think he’s an aggressive guy and is going to try and come after me,” said Otto Wallin about Whyte. “He knows I’m a good boxer. The thing with Dillian, he’s been in a lot of tough fights.
“I feel like his last two fights with Povetkin; you can really start to see that it’s affected him some. He’s getting older.
“With that being said, he’s a tough fighter; he’s a good fighter. He’s got a good jab, a good left hook, and a decent body puncher,” said Wallin.
In two of the last three fights Whyte has had since 2019, he’s shown signs that he’s slowing down due to age and the effects of his many ring wars during his 10-years professional career.
Whyte’s fifth round knockout loss to 40-year-old Alexander Povetkin in August 2020 was a clear sign that he’s not the spring chicken that he was 3,000 yesterdays ago.
“I feel I can show him a good boxing lesson,” said Wallin in predicting a win over Whyte.
— Matchroom Boxing (@MatchroomBoxing) October 18, 2021
Usyk can’t fight Fury because Anthony Joshua activated the rematch clause he had for his fight with Oleksandr last September 25th.
If Fury chooses not to fight the winner of the Whyte vs. Wallin clash, he could lose his title unless he can cut a deal.
Fury can also ask the WBC to make him their Franchise champion, which would allow him to swerve the Whyte-Wallin winner.
I think Eddie Hearn might take Whyte’s loss harder than he would because he’s been talking up a storm about how he deserves a title shot for ages.
Whyte had his window of opportunity
If Wallin blasts Whyte to smithereens, Hearn would need to forget about his dream of Dillian challenging for a world title.
Depending on how badly Wallin beats Whyte, he may need to start thinking seriously about cutting his losses and letting the aging heavyweight go.
Let’s face it, Whyte isn’t getting any younger, and he probably would have lost his rematch with Povetkin earlier this year if the Russian hadn’t come down with COVID-19.
Whyte may have missed his window of opportunity to challenge for a world title years ago when the WBC ordered him to fight Luis ‘King Kong’ Ortiz in a title eliminator way back in 2018, and he chose not to. That was a massive mistake on Whyte’s part because he blew his chance to become the WBC mandatory.
- Fury vs. Dillian Whyte on ESPN PPV on April 23rd
- Fury reacts to Frank Warren winning purse bid for Dillian Whyte fight
- Tyson Fury vs. Dillian Whyte purse bid won by Frank Warren with $41M
- Fury vs. Whyte in April, Joshua vs. Usyk 2 in May says Hearn