WBC president Sulaiman confirms Errol Spence injury real
By Sean Jones: WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman confirmed on Monday that Errol Spence Jr. does have a left eye injury that resulted in him pulling out of his fight scheduled for this Saturday night, August 21st, against Manny Pacquiao. Sulaiman says Spence’s medical report is “satisfactory.”
Spence has been replaced by the dangerous WBA ‘Super World’ welterweight champion Yordenis Ugas as the opponent for Pacquiao to face on Saturday.
The talented Cuban Ugas stands to gain the glory that Spence had been hoping to get by taking Pacquiao’s scalp and adding it to his collection.
It’s important that WBC president Sulaiman has come out and verified Spence’s injury is real, as there are many people on social media saying that the IBF/WBC welterweight champion lost his nerve and invented the story out of thin air about his eye injury to avoid getting beaten by Pacquiao on Saturday.
Thanks to leaked sparring video posted on YouTube, some boxing fans believe Spence (27-0, 21 KOs) was having a poor training camp, getting worked over, and he decided to bail on the fight with the 42-year-old Pacquiao (62-7-2, 39 KOs).
As the favorite in the fight, it makes no sense for Spence to have purposefully pulled out of the match with Pacquiao by inventing a fake injury, as it would have been an easy win for him, and he would have gotten a MASSIVE payday in the process.
WBC president Suliaman comments on Spence’s injury
“During the mandatory exams that boxers must undergo, an injury was detected in the retina of Spence’s left eye, and he had to undergo surgery, which is going to keep him out of the ring for some time,” said WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman.
“I received an emotional letter from our champion Errol Spence Jr., in which he thanks the World Boxing Council (WBC) for giving him the support to keep him as champion.
“The WBC ratified support for him, and the medical report was satisfactory, so he will return to the ring as soon as healed and safely possible,” said Sulaiman.
So there it is. WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has confirmed that Spence DID have an eye injury, which was the sole reason for him pulling out of his fight with Pacquiao.
Errol didn’t fake his injury to swerve the fight with Pacquiao, so boxing fans can forget about that silly nonsense that’s been floating around social media.
As long as Pacquiao wins his fight against WBA welterweight champion Yordenis Ugas (26-4, 12 KOs), it’s possible to reschedule a fight between him and Spence in late 2021 or early 2022.
If Pacquiao loses to Ugas, which is likely to happen, Spence will be out of luck and can forget about getting a fight with the Filipino star. At that point, Pacquiao will either retire or attempt to avenge his loss to Ugas in a rematch.
Either way, Ugas’ career will skyrocket after he beats Pacquiao. We then could see a fight between Ugas and Spence or a unification match between the Cuban and WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford.
- Terence Crawford sends Errol Spence a message, calling him out
- Errol Spence trainer Derrick James talks Crawford fight & Charlo vs. Castano 2
- VIDEO: Errol Spence Jr vs Terence Crawford – Will it Happen in 2022?
- Terence Crawford surpasses Errol Spence for #1 position in Ring rankings at 147