Estrada vs. ‘Chocolatito’ / Braekhus vs McCaskill – Live Results
By Mark Eisner: WBA super flyweight champion Juan Francisco Estrada (42-3, 28 KOs) defeated WBC champion Roman ‘Chocolatito’ Gonzalez (50-3, 41 KOs) by a close 12 round split decision on Saturday night in their rematch at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.
The scores were 115-113 Gonzalez, 117-111 Estrada, 115-113 Estrada. Boxing News 24 had Chocolaito winning.
- WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO female welterweight champion Jessica McCaskill (10-2, 3 KOs) held onto her titles beating former undisputed champion Cecilia Braekhus (36-2, 9 KOs) by a 10 round unanimous decision. The scores were 100-89, 99-90, 98-91. Braekhus had a point deducted in the seventh round for pushing down on McCaskill’s head. For McCaskill, 36, this was her second consecutive win over Braekhus. Last August, she beat Braekhus by a 10 round majority decision to dethrone her as the undisputed champion.
- In a disappointing outcome, highly talented featherweight prospect Raymond Ford (8-0-1, 4 KOs) and Aaron Perez (10-0-1, 6 KOs) fought to an eight-round draw. The judges scored 77-75 for the 21-year-old Camden, New Jersey native Ford, 78-74 for Perez, and 76-76. Boxing News 24 had Ford winning 78-74.
- Big punching prospect Austin ‘Ammo’ Williams (8-0, 6 KOs) stayed unbeaten with a tougher than expected eight-round unanimous decision over Denis Douglin (22-8, 14 KOs). The judges scored it 79-73, 79-73, and 77-75.
- WBA light flyweight champion Hiroto Kyoguchi (15-0, 10 KOs) defeated challenger Axel Vega (14-4-1, 8 KOs) by a fifth-round stoppage. The contest was stopped in the fifth round after Vegas suffered a hand injury after landing a punch to the top of Hyoguchi’s head. Vegas was in too much pain for the contest to continue.
- Undefeated junior middleweight prospect Souleymane Cissokho (12-0, 8 KOs) overpowered his opponent journeyman Daniel Echeverria (21-11, 18 KOs) in stopping him in the sixth round. The hard-punching Cissokho knocked Echeverria down in rounds five and six. The referee finally stepped in and halted the fight in the sixth due to the punishment that Echeverria was taking. The time of the stoppage was at 1:29 of the sixth. It’s going to be interesting to see how the 29-year-old Cissokho continues to develop. He’s kind of up there in age for a fighter still in the prospect stage, though.
Super flyweight world champions Juan Francisco Estrada and Roman ‘Chocolatito’ Gonzalez will be going to war tonight in their rematch live on DAZN. Boxing News 24 will be giving live updates of the action below.
The loaded card is taking place at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas.
Fans are looking forward to the headliner tonight between WBC super flyweight champion Roman ‘Chocolatito’ Gonzalez (50-2, 41 KOs) and WBA champion Juan Francisco Estrada (41-3, 28 KOs) in a rematch that has been slowly building for the last eight years.
It’s one of the rare times in the 33-year-old Chocolatito’s career where the oddsmakers have him as the underdog, but it’s not a shock that they have Estrada as the favorite.
He is in his prime at 30, and he clearly fought better than Chocolatito in dealing defeats to Srisaket Sor Rungvisai and Carlos Cuadras.
Speaking of former two-time WBC super flyweight champion Rungvisai, he’s mandatory for the WBC title, and he’ll be facing the winner of tonight’s Estrada – Chocolatito fight next.
The heavy-handed Thai fighter Rungvisai has already beaten both Estrada and Chocolatito, and some believe he’ll defeat the winner of the fight tonight. Estrada did win a close 12 round decision over Rungvisai in 2019, and he may find it very difficult to beat him a second time.
In the co-feature bout, Jessica McCaskill will have her IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC, and WBO female welterweight titles on the line for her rematch against Cecilia Braekhus.
If that’s not enough, Hiroto Kyoguchi will be defending his WBA light flyweight title against challenger Axel Aragon Vega.
Middleweight prospect Austin ‘Ammo’ Williams (7-0, 6 KOs) puts his unbeaten record on the line against the seasoned veteran Denis Douglin (22-7, 14 KOs) in an eight-round fight.
- Juan Francisco Estrada vacating WBA 115-lb title, won’t fight Joshua Franco
- Roman Gonzalez vs. Jesse Rodriguez possible for December
- Tony Bellew wants Jesse Bam Rodriguez to face Chocolatito vs. Estrada III winner
- Should Jesse Rodriguez fight Chocolatito Gonzalez next?