Leonard Ellerbe approves Tank Davis vs. Ryan Garcia fight
By Dan Ambrose: Gervonta ‘Tank’ Davis’ promoter Leonard Ellerbe of Mayweather Promotions is on board with his decision to defend his WBA World lightweight title against Ryan ‘Kingry’ Garcia next.
For Ellerbe to be so quickly agreeing to the fight, he’s got to believe that Tank’s chances of beating Ryan VERY high.
As long as Ellerbe and Floyd Mayweather Jr are in agreement to letting Tank (24-0, 23 KOs) face King Ryan (21-0, 18 KOs), it looks like we may see that fight happening at some point in 2021.
Tank, 26, wants the fight with Ryan in May, but we’ll have to see if that’s doable during the pandemic. the fight is too big for it not to take place in front of a packed stadium.
If Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy want to get the most amount of money out of the Garcia vs. Tank fight, they’ll need to wait until crowds are allowed back after the vaccine is given out to stop the pandemic.
WBC lightweight champion Devin Haney’s promoter Eddie Hearn still has hopes that Ryan Garcia will choose to face Devin next, and he says he thinks he can put the fight together quickly.
Here’s what Hearn had to say:
“We can make this fight this week.”
“Ryan has told the world he wants the Tank fight,” said Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe on Twitter. “What’s wrong with [Teofimo] Lopez fighting Haney next? I think it’s an excellent fight.”
“I agree,” said Ryan Garcia.
Ryan Garcia responds to Hearn:
“Boo hoo Crying face Poor Eddie not getting his way, the people want Davis Garcia, no such thing as a real champion when coming to belts it’s about being the people’s champ, go cry me a river,”said King Ryan on social media.
Ryan, 22, must be getting annoyed with Hearn for him to come at him with this kind of a remark.
It’s likely that Garcia is still upset with Hearn about how he’d been predicting a victory for his fighter Luke Campbell throughout the promotion for their fight last Saturday.
Ryan got the last laugh with him knocking out Campbell (20-4, 16 KOs) in the seventh round with a body shot.
The was a WBC lightweight title eliminator, so Ryan is technically supposed to be challenging Haney (25-0, 15 KOs) next, but that won’t happen.
Hearn is left with Haney still needing a fight, and that’s not good. As Ellerbe is suggesting, Hearn can always try to put a fight together between Haney and the WBC Franchise champion Teofimo Lopez (16-0, 12 KOs) next.
Unfortunately, Teofimo said earlier on Friday that he’s already sent a fight offer to his IBF mandatory George Kambosos Jr. If he doesn’t agree to the offer, Teofimo said he would look to put the fight together with Haney.
View this post on Instagram
- Gervonta Davis to challenge Mario Barrios for WBA 140-lb title in summer
- Santa Cruz: Ryan Garcia needs more experience for Tank Davis
- Ryan Garcia working on next fight, giving up on Pacquiao
- Gervonta Davis fight announcement in a few days