Boxing News - Latest Headlines

Ryan Garcia calls De La Hoya a “HATER,” unhappy with him revealing his July 4 decision not to accept a fight

Oscar De La Hoya Ryan Garcia

By Sean Jones: Ryan Garcia is angry with his promoter Oscar De La Hoya after he posted a Tweet on Monday, saying that Ryan didn’t accept the fight for the July 4 card. Ryan reportedly was offered $200,000 fight, which wasn’t to his liking.

In responding to Ryan Garcia’s unhappy Tweet, WBC junior middleweight champion Jermell Charlo recommended that he leave Golden Boy and get with Al Haymon. Jermell says Ryan Garcia is too popular to be put on the shelf by Golden Boy.

Abner Mares was the name that had been mentioned as Ryan’s potential opponent, and the fans weren’t too excited about that bout. Mares is about to turn 35, and he hasn’t fought in two years.

Included in the post by De La Hoya was him revealing that welterweight Vergil Ortiz, who he referred to as “the future of boxing,” will be on the card.

Some fans have interpreted the post from the Golden Boy Promotions boss De La Hoya as a way to put the young 21-year-old lightweight contender Ryan Garcia (20-0, 17 KOs) in his place.

Oscar De La Hoya Ryan Garcia

De La Hoya’s Tweet on Ryan Garcia

In hindsight, it was probably not a good idea for De La Hoya to include Ryan’s name in his Tweet about the news for the July 4 event. De La Hoya could have tweeted without mentioning Ryan’s name, and the message would have gotten across to the fans about the event on that date. Including information on Ryan Garcia looks terrible.

The July 4 card is expected to be behind closed doors, and it’s not surprising that there wasn’t a lot of money for Ryan Garcia to fight. With the world going through a serious pandemic, there’s not as much money for the fighters.

Not having a live audience hurts, and the situation isn’t helped that Ryan would have been matched an old guy in Mares.

That fight would have been a good one back in 2013 when Mares was still fighting at a high level. But his career hasn’t been the same since Jhonny Gonzalez knocked him out in the first round. At this point, Mares would be a step down for Ryan Garcia from his last two opponents Francisco Fonseca and Romero Duno.

Ryan Garcia fires back at De La Hoya

“You do realize you’re supposed to be my promoter, not a hater, right?” said Ryan Garcia on Twitter in reacting to De La Hoya’s News of him turning down the July 4 fight.

Things are starting to look toxic between De La Hoya and Ryan Garcia, and it’ll be interesting to see how this thing ends. It was only recently that Golden Boy Promotions signed Ryan to lucrative long term contract, and he seemed happy after it was revealed.

Oscar De La Hoya Ryan Garcia

The question is, will Golden Boy continue to offer Ryan money that he’s not happy with for his fights? If so, then the next question is, can King Ryan get out of his contract with the promotional company? Would Golden Boy let Ryan get a release from his contract?

It’s not a good thing for a famous fighter like Ryan Garcia to sit on the shelf and not fight. If Ryan were with Top Rank, he probably would have been one of the first one out of the blocks last week on ESPN.

Jermell Charlo wants Ryan Garcia to leave Golden Boy

Comments are closed.




Related Boxing News:
Subscribe (Free!)

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of Boxing News 24 or its affiliates.

Boxing News FB Boxing News Twitter Boxing News INstagram Boxing News 24 Youtuber Mail

Privacy Statement l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Back To Top l Contact Us

1K Shares
Email
WhatsApp
Tweet
Share