Canelo: I don’t want to fight GGG anymore
By Sean Jones: Saul Canelo Alvarez is walking away from MILLIONS in choosing to never fight former middleweight champion Gennadiy Golovkin ever again. The former 4 division world champion Canelo (53-1-2, 36 KOs) has decided that he’s done with his rivalry with Golovkin after 2 fights, and he feels that he beat him in BOTH matches.
Fans disagree with Canelo. They feel that Golovkin (40-1-1, 35 KOs) deserved decision victory in their first fight in 2017, and should have been at least a draw in their rematch in 2018. There’s a strong belief that Canelo is straight up ducking GGG for fear of getting knocked out or just simply beaten up like he was in their rematch.
Canelo failed to prove that he was a better fighter than Golovkin. If anything, the second fight between them showed that the are even. It doesn’t matter that the 29-year-old Canelo is eight years younger than the 37-year-old Golovkin. In this case, Canelo’s youth isn’t even to overcome Golovkin’s punching power and technical boxing skills.
There will be NO third Canelo vs. Golovkin fight
“I don’t want to fight him [again]. For me he doesn’t represent [a challenge] anymore,” said Canelo to ESPN Deportes. ” I have other goals, too, and I already gave him 24 rounds and that’s it.”
“I will not allow them to do that, at least for my fights. And I will talk to them,” said Canelo about DAZN delaying the start of his fights.
Besides no longer wanting to face the hard-hitting GGG again, Canelo says he NEVER wants DAZN to delay the start of his fights like they did for his last contest against Sergey Kovalev on November 2. Kovalev and Canelo had to wait an hour for their fight to take place on the night due to DAZN choosing to wait until UFC 244 had been completed.
Fighting Kovalev on the same night as Diaz-Masvida was a mistake
The highly popular Nate Diaz was facing Jorge Masvida in the main event on the card. It was a mistake for Canelo to schedule a fight against 36-old Kovalev to run up against that event. Canelo should be blaming the people that handle him for their decision to place his fight against Kovalev against the UFC event. That was a major blow it move.
If Canelo does some critical thinking, he’ll realize that this could have been avoided if his team hadn’t scheduled him to fight the arguably washed up Kovalev on the same night as Diaz vs. Masvida.
For the Diaz-Masvida not to have negatively impacted DAZN’s numbers for Canelo’s November 2 fight, the Golden Boy star would have needed to fight Golovkin or someone like Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather Jr. Obviously, Mayweather and Pacquiao would never fight the hulking Canelo at this point in his career.
A third fight with Golovkin would be punishing for Canelo
It’s interesting that Canelo remains dead set against a third fight with Golovkin, considering the controversy involved in BOTH of their bouts. Some believe that Canelo didn’t like the punishment that he took in the 2nd contest when he chose to walk Golovkin down to prove a point.
Yes, Canelo was successful in the first six rounds of the fight, but then his poor stamina reared its ugly head in the second half. That’s when Golovkin took over the fight, and TWICE staggered Canelo with big shots.
At the end of the contest, Golovkin’s face was badly marked up, but it was Canelo who had been hurt badly on two occasions. As most boxing fans know, getting hurt is worse than having a face that’s marked. Canelo took a lot of punishment against GGG last time they fought, it looks like he doesn’t want to get similar treatment in a third bout with the Kazakhstan star.