Porter accepts Spence’s offer for rematch
By Tim Royner: Former welterweight champion Shawn Porter responded to IBF/WBC champion Errol Spence Jr. on social media on Tuesday to let him know that he accepts his offer to “run it back” in a rematch. Earlier on Tuesday, Spence posted on his Instagram site saying this to Porter:
“Let’s run it Back 🤨🦈 #strapseason #unifiedchamp #mandown #andstill,” said Spence.
Now all that needs to be done is for Spence to let his management at Premier Boxing Champions know that he intends on taking the Porter rematch.
They’ve already started planning on having Spence defend his IBF/WBC welterweight titles against former two division world champion Danny Garcia (35-2, 21 KOs) on January 25 on Fox Sports Pay-Per-View.
Porter responds back to Spence’s “run it back” post
“This Machine is ready to go back to work when you are, @errolspencejr!! #SpencePorter2 #PBConFOX #RunItBack #Rematch #Blessee #TeamPorter #ThePorterWay #Boxing,” said Porter.
In a thrilling fight, Errol defeated Porter by a 12 round split decision in their unification on Fox Sports Pay-Per-View at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. The scores were 116-111, 116-111 for Spence, and 115-113 for Porter.
Fans NOT interested in Spence vs. Danny Garcia
Garcia came into the ring and challenged Spence after the fight last Saturday at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The crowd showed no reaction when Garcia came into the ring to Spence out. The fans don’t want Danny Garcia right now for Spence. Their opinions about that fight could change in the future, but right now they don’t want that fight.
Spence vs. Porter 2
Spence (26-0, 21 KOs) has had time to think about his fight against Porter (30-3-1, 17 KOs) last Saturday night, and he obviously feels he didn’t perform at his best. He wants to run it back to try and improve.
Porter deserved a rematch
This is the type of fight that would be hard for any fighter to walk away from, especially a perfectionist like Spence. Having fans criticizing him in massive numbers is something Spence has never had to deal with – until now. With the effort that Porter put in, he cleared deserves a rematch with Spence. He worked hard, and was like a machine inside the ring in taking the fight to Spence.
Spence vs. Porter 2 can be a huge fight if they start promoting it right now. They can ramp it up, and make it huge for January 25 on Fox Sports PPV.
Spence-Porter tracking at 300,000 buys
The casual boxing fans are now familiar with Porter, and they’ll be more interested in seeing the second fight. Their fight last Saturday is tracking at 300,000+ buys on Fox Sports. Those are excellent numbers. The rematch could be even better.
More Boxing News:
- Errol Spence Jr motivated by the doubters
- Thurman wants Pacquiao, Crawford, Brook, Porter & Mikey Garcia
- Angel Garcia warns Errol Spence he’s getting beaten up by Danny
- Keith Thurman says Errol Spence fight is happening in 2021
- Jessie Vargas breaks down Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia match
- Mike Tyson interested in facing Anthony Joshua in charity match
- Gennadiy Golovkin to fight on November 21st on DAZN
- Arum targeting Josh Taylor vs. Jose Ramirez for 2021 in Edinburgh or Las Vegas
- Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller blaming his recent drug test on a sex pill
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 in doubt for 2020