Ruiz says Joshua rematch will be in U.S, NOT Saudi Arabia
By Tim Royner: Andy Ruiz Jr. has finally broken his silence to comment on Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn’s announcement of the rematch with Anthony Joshua taking place on December 7 in Saudi Arabia. Ruiz Jr. (33-1, 22 Kos) says that’s NOT happening. He says he would have “no protection over there,” and that the rematch will be taking place in the United States instead. In an odd-looking press conference this week, Hearn announced the Joshua-Ruiz Jr. rematch for December 7th in Saudi Arabia without either fighter being present.
Hearn has already reacted to IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Ruiz’s comments, and he says the fight has already been finalized to take place in Saudi Arabia. Ruiz sounds like he’s afraid of finding himself the B-side opponent getting potentially jobbed out of his titles in a venue hand-picked by Hearn.
Ruiz Jr. says he’s bringing the fight back to the U.S
“I know everybody is talking about the fight,” said Ruiz Jr. on social media about his rematch with Joshua. “We’ve got some news coming soon. AJ is going to get the rematch. It’s happening soon. We do got the rematch, of course, but it’s going to be on my terms. Hell yeah,” said Ruiz Jr. when asked if Joshua is scared of fighting him again. “Why do you think he’s over there trying to make the fight in Saudi Arabia? Like I said; I don’t have no protection over there [in Saudi Arabia]. Never mind; I can’t say anything,” said Ruiz.
Hearn already jumped the gun earlier this week in announcing the rematch between Joshua and Ruiz for Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. He’s repeatedly said that Ruiz’s management are aware of the fight taking place in Saudi Arabia, and that they’re not saying anything about Andy not taking the fight. However, Hearn has continually mentioned that Ruiz Jr. is contractually bound by the agreement.
The way Hearn has talked, it sounds like Ruiz’s team isn’t on board with the rematch taking place in Saudi Arabia or the terms. Ruiz is rumored to be getting around $9 million for the fight. It’s unclear how much the Saudis are paying for the fight. But if the rumors of the being a $80+ million event is true, Joshua is going to be making a fortune in comparison to Ruiz’s $9 million.
Hearn say Ruiz Jr. could be out of boxing for years with legal battle
“The contract for the rematch was signed prior to the first fight,” Hearn said to Skysports.com about the Joshua vs. Ruiz Jr. rematch. “They are both signed at the same time. There is no other contract. “We have to let [Ruiz Jr] know the time, date and venue which we have done. That’s it. They are contractually bound for the rematch. His choice is to have a legal battle that could put him out of boxing for years, or to defend his belts for a lot of money against a guy he has already beaten. There isn’t any doubt he will take the fight.”