Dillian Whyte and Dereck Chisora involved in altercation
By Scott Gilfoid: Heavyweights Dillian Whyte and Dereck Chisora got involved in a heated argument last Saturday night at the Tony Bellew vs. David Haye II fight at the O2 Arena in London, England.
The former foes never got close to each other though, as there plenty of security that was in between them. It’s too bad the security wasn’t there. It would have been fun to see whether Whyte and Chisora would have done anything. My guess is neither would want to take the risk of getting involved in a physical fight due to the possible suspension and fines they would have to deal with by the British Boxing Board of Control in the UK.
Whyte wanted to speak with Chisora alone to settle it one-on-one, but he was more interested in getting him to commit to a rematch. Chisora lost a controversial 12 round split decision to Haye two years ago in December 2016. Whyte was given a win, but he looked like he lost the fight. Chisora’s loss to Agit Kabayel last year derailed his chances of a rematch with Whyte. Chisora came back from that loss to defeat Zakaria Azzouzi by a 2nd round knockout last March.
“It’s a business and people want to see me progress, not waste time,” Whyte said to skysports.com about a fight between him and Chisora. “If Chisora gets a good win, he becomes relevant again. I was willing to fight him last February, but he lost to Agit Kabayel in Monaco. I advised him not to take that fight. That pushed him far away from a rematch with me.”
Chisora told Whyte, “Sign the contract.” Unfortunately, that does not look like it’s going to happen. Whyte wants to fight Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder. Chisora is one of two guys that Whyte does NOT want to fight. The World Boxing Council ordered Whyte to face former world title challenger Luis ‘King Kong’ Ortiz in a secondary title eliminator recently.
Whyte and his promoter Eddie Hearn both complained like crazy, saying they didn’t feel that it was necessary to take the fight with the talented Ortiz to earn a title shot against WBC champion Wilder. Hearn wanted the WBC to make Whyte the mandatory to Wilder off his recent win over Lucas Browne. When the WBC didn’t do that, Hearn decided to move Whyte in the direction of Kubrat Pulev for the IBF mandatory spot. That’s the fight that Whyte will likely be taking next.
If Whyte doesn’t fight Pulev, then he might as well fight Chisora again, because there aren’t any other notable heavyweights that are going to fight him. Tony Bellew rejected the idea of facing Whyte after his win over Haye. Bellew said there’s no point in facing Whyte because it’s not a big enough fight.
Whyte can fight Pulev, but after that he’s still not going to be getting a title shot against Joshua in 2018, and the fight not happen until late 2019 if then. Hearn can’t match Whyte against Browne, Malcolm Tann and Robert Helenius again, because the boxing public isn’t going to want to see those tired rematches. Those were awful choices in the first place. Wilder isn’t going to do Whyte a favor and give him a free title shot because he has no name recognition in the States.
Whyte and Chisora are good fringe level heavyweights. Whyte has been given a high ranking by the WBC based off his wins over weak heavyweights. Whyte’s true talent was shown in his fight with Chisora, which he clearly lost but was given a very, very questionable victory. Whyte hasn’t fought anyone good since then, so he’s been winning lately. It would be nice to see Whyte and Chisora fight someone like Joe Joyce, Daniel Dubois or Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller. I think Whyte and Chisora would lose to all three of those guys.